Am I allowed to rebuild this deck, otherwise how?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Wewu

Am I allowed to rebuild this deck, otherwise how?

Post by Wewu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Shannon and Everyone :D ,
I am new to this forum site. I am quite a fan on your Youtube channel. I am a RN who likes DIY. I have a few questions for you today. My 20 years old deck attached to the patio door fell apart this year. It was originally built by the builder I believe (I am the first owner). They used only two triangle metal shelf hangers to hold a small platform (4'x2.5' ish) above 46" grade.(total off grade to patio door is 53-1/2 " Those triangular metal support were screwed to the wall like basket hanger 90 degrees to the wall each side of the old deck and the middle part of the platform was nailed to a piece of material looks like a cardboard material (ledger like) on the wall below patio door. There were five stairs led to the ground. The cardboard looking ledger material still 65-75% intact except there are some loose gap between wall and the lower edge of the board.There are some wasps in out around it but cleaned by some expert last week . It could be subcontracted to some small contractor who built this small access deck. It does not seem like it was built to the code. My question is 1)if I rebuild a new deck, can I still use the old style? 2) do I need to take off the cardboard like material on the wall first and replace it with some vinyl wall siding or just put a new ledger board?( btw,I have no intention to attach my new deck to the wall if I can not use the metal triangle hanger style.)3) any suggestion where to find those new metal triangle( they are big and heavy duty looking, but current ones are rusted). I will attach a photo for you. Thank you so much.
Attachments
20180617_130030.jpg
Old deck original look
20180617_130030.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 89 times
1533845661937456224180.jpg
Back yard old deck structure
1533845661937456224180.jpg (115.22 KiB) Viewed 89 times

A. Spruce

Re: Am I allowed to rebuild this deck, otherwise how?

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:25 pm

I see you figured out how to start a topic, I will delete your post in the other thread. 8-)

Can you get a pic of the "cardboard" thing you're referring to?

Those metal brackets are custom made, you can easily have replacements fabricated by any welding shop. Unless the metal has been severely compromised, there is not need for replacement. Your pics look like it's mostly surface rust, which can be neutralized and painted to prevent further degradation.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AZLA08/
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Am I allowed to rebuild this deck, otherwise how?

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Ya it looks to me that there is no reason those brackets would not work again if they are secured well to the house. This little deck is for sure a DIY project. It is a nice size to tackle for you first mini deck and build some confidence and skill.IMO.
Waiting to see this "cardboard stuff " closer up.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon