Exterior insulation

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Diyguy78

Exterior insulation

Post by Diyguy78 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 pm

I really appreciate the video’s. My question is, what and how much insulation should I apply to the exterior my house. I have 2 x 4 walls now. I’m looking to replace my windows along with the siding. For the windows I’m planning on extending exterior jams and buying windows with the nail strip.

I live in zone 5. So I was thinking wrapping house then use 1 inch XPS then side over. What do you think? Too much, not enough, or?

Thank you in advance.

Shannon

Re: Exterior insulation

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 pm

1" would be ok but I would personally go at least 1-1/2". On my own home I did 2".
1-1/2" works well and also you can use 2x4s around window /door opening to extend the openings easily.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Diyguy78

Post by Diyguy78 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Shannon thank you for reply!
question if I go with 2” can I extend the window opening but leave the doors as they are before? Did you use 2 one inch for total 2inch or just 2 inch board? Also, did you use furring strips over the 2” to nail siding on or long nails to go through?
Thank you!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm

You don’t have to change the doors but you will have to do something around them to hide the foam edge. In my video that’s why I added the pvc to the trim . I never changed windows or doors.
I installed 2” foam but two layers of 1” is fine if that’s what you have. I used no furring straps , just 3 -1/2” nails. I installed my wrap over the foam but it can be under it if you want.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Diyguy78

Post by Diyguy78 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Shannon,
Is there a preference in the vapor barrier or house wrap in brand or type?

I hear some people saying not use any because of mold issues. I’m wondering if they used wrong stuff or applied wrong?

Thank you in advance.