Exterior insulation

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Diyguy78

Exterior insulation

Post by Diyguy78 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 pm

I really appreciate the video’s. My question is, what and how much insulation should I apply to the exterior my house. I have 2 x 4 walls now. I’m looking to replace my windows along with the siding. For the windows I’m planning on extending exterior jams and buying windows with the nail strip.

I live in zone 5. So I was thinking wrapping house then use 1 inch XPS then side over. What do you think? Too much, not enough, or?

Thank you in advance.

Shannon

Re: Exterior insulation

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 pm

1" would be ok but I would personally go at least 1-1/2". On my own home I did 2".
1-1/2" works well and also you can use 2x4s around window /door opening to extend the openings easily.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Diyguy78

Post by Diyguy78 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Shannon thank you for reply!
question if I go with 2” can I extend the window opening but leave the doors as they are before? Did you use 2 one inch for total 2inch or just 2 inch board? Also, did you use furring strips over the 2” to nail siding on or long nails to go through?
Thank you!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm

You don’t have to change the doors but you will have to do something around them to hide the foam edge. In my video that’s why I added the pvc to the trim . I never changed windows or doors.
I installed 2” foam but two layers of 1” is fine if that’s what you have. I used no furring straps , just 3 -1/2” nails. I installed my wrap over the foam but it can be under it if you want.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Diyguy78

Post by Diyguy78 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Shannon,
Is there a preference in the vapor barrier or house wrap in brand or type?

I hear some people saying not use any because of mold issues. I’m wondering if they used wrong stuff or applied wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:50 am

I tend to use Typar for house wrap but I think any of them are decent. You need to use one to meet code as far as I know pretty much anywhere.
Vapour barriers are installed on the interior of the house under the drywall .For the you use a poly sheeting that is labeled and marked for use as a approved vapour barrier.