fiberglass shower stall

Ask your bathroom related questions here
prmflyer

fiberglass shower stall

Post by prmflyer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:37 am

Shannan did a video to install a one piece shower stall. I have accomplished that part of the project and now I have bare studs above the shower stall on three sides. (The shower was designed to install directly to studs) and I'm wondering what to do to finish the walls above the stall. Will sheet rock hold up in the mositure? does it need tile or formica? how to finish the seams between the stall and whatever ends up being above the stall?

Shannon

Re: fiberglass shower stall

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:53 pm

So moisture resistant drywall is fine up there. Cut and install it from the top of the shower flange to the ceiling. You then have a couple of options for finishing that ugly space left between the drywall and the lip of the shower stall.
#1 Fill the gap with drywall mud, it usually will take a couple of coats because of shrinkage when it dries. Get it basically filled flat and then apply mud and tape and finish just like you would any other drywall joint. I sand and use a small bead of paintable mould resistant caulk along the small joint left and then paint.
#2 You can install drywall like above method and either fill that gap left or leave it empty. Finish all other joints prime and paint and then install a border of tile around the perimeter to cover the gap. I have a couple of videos kind of showing this method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9GDsbOVM4,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldueOrDw8R4
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:53 pm
You then have a couple of options for finishing that ugly space left between the drywall and the lip of the shower stall.
In these parts we will either butt the drywall to the top edge of the flange and tile over the ugly gap or we install the drywall over the flange, the problem with this is that it creates a bulge unless you notch the back of the drywall to accommodate the thickness of the flange, which is my preferred. Whatever you do DO NOT put drywall or mud in direct contact with the top ledge of the shower, that is the ledge between the shower wall face and the nailing flange. Water will collect on that ledge and when the caulking fails, water will be wicked into the mud/drywall and cause mold and damage. Leave a 1/4" gap between the drywall and the ledge and caulk with a good quality tub/tile or silicon caulk. Personally, I hate silicon, so I stick to acrylic latex caulk or elastomeric caulk and only use silicon as a last resort.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:48 am

I would say here that most new homes I see the ugly gap is filled with mud and flat taped and caulked or siliconed. IMO its ok. How much water really ever sits on those edges? I have not seen many rotted out on the edge from moisture but it could happen over time.
I do prefer the tile method although I seldom see anyone else doing it. I thought I was one of the few? LOL.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:47 am

Damage is less likely with a shower because water is rarely directly on that ledge, though it still isn't worth the risk, IMHO. Bathtubs are another story, I see those damaged all the time due to failed caulk and water wicking. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:47 am
Damage is less likely with a shower because water is rarely directly on that ledge, though it still isn't worth the risk, IMHO. Bathtubs are another story, I see those damaged all the time due to failed caulk and water wicking. 8-)
Ya I could see that for sure with a bath tub.