Iko Ener-Air, direct on concrete basement?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jeb101

Iko Ener-Air, direct on concrete basement?

Post by jeb101 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:20 pm

I am pricing out insulation, and found a local spot that has some leftover Iko Ener-Air 4x8 sheets @ 2 inch for ~7$ more than XPS, but at R13 vs R10 for the Dow foam.

They also have Ener-Foil, but that is going to be only ordered in spring time, which is not permeable, the Ener-Air is permeable, so a vapor barrier is required, but I was wondering how suitable this would be to insulate my basement walls.

This is how I was thinking of building the wall if it's an option.
- Ener-Air
- Vapor Barrier
- Studs
- Insulation (batt)
- Drywall

My basement used to leak like a faucet, but it was recently excavated and wrapped with Delta-MS, and ran a dehumidifier to wick out water in the concrete for roughly 45 days, rim joists will either be spray foamed or loaded with XPS (3x2inch)

Edit: I live in eastern canada, where the winters get cold, and summers humid.

Shannon

Re: Iko Ener-Air, direct on concrete basement?

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:29 am

I have never used Ener-Air so I can't say for sure that it is a good choice. I'm not sure the $7 extra is worth it. I think if it was my project and I had a little extra money for the budget I would use that $7 and use Roxul insulation in the stud cavities instead of fibreglass insulation and 2" rigid foam against the concrete .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for the input, but I seem to have forgotten details.

The Ener-Air is 4x8 sheets, but the XPS is 2x8 sheets, so for 7$ more I get 80% more material, roughly. So I would actually be saving a bunch of money in that aspect, and roxul 14 (2x4's) would be between studs. Thing is though, I have wicked R value in the spring, fall, and summer, but I am basically running on Roxul 14 in winter +- 3-6r with the Ener-air.

As money is not a huge concern, but is still relevant, this is why I was looking at this, but you get serious R value reduction, basically non existent if it hits -20c, luckily comfort bat will be a help.

My prices are:

2" 4x8 ISO panel @ 13r - 27$ tax in

2" 2x8 XPS panel @ 10r - 20$ tax in

Pros for ISO
Nearly half the price (leftovers from commercial)
1.5R/inch higher

Cons
R value decreases quite a bit once it hits 10c, nearly non existent at -20c
can shrink up to 1% in it's lifespan.

I will have to go over the budget and figure things out, even though it's cheaper, it has it's drawbacks and not a commonly used item in residential construction, I don't want to save a few hundred now and pay for it later either.

Cheers

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm

I would contact then (IKO) to see if its even recommended for use indoors and for your application.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon