Iko Ener-Air, direct on concrete basement?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jeb101

Iko Ener-Air, direct on concrete basement?

Post by jeb101 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:20 pm

I am pricing out insulation, and found a local spot that has some leftover Iko Ener-Air 4x8 sheets @ 2 inch for ~7$ more than XPS, but at R13 vs R10 for the Dow foam.

They also have Ener-Foil, but that is going to be only ordered in spring time, which is not permeable, the Ener-Air is permeable, so a vapor barrier is required, but I was wondering how suitable this would be to insulate my basement walls.

This is how I was thinking of building the wall if it's an option.
- Ener-Air
- Vapor Barrier
- Studs
- Insulation (batt)
- Drywall

My basement used to leak like a faucet, but it was recently excavated and wrapped with Delta-MS, and ran a dehumidifier to wick out water in the concrete for roughly 45 days, rim joists will either be spray foamed or loaded with XPS (3x2inch)

Edit: I live in eastern canada, where the winters get cold, and summers humid.

Shannon

Re: Iko Ener-Air, direct on concrete basement?

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:29 am

I have never used Ener-Air so I can't say for sure that it is a good choice. I'm not sure the $7 extra is worth it. I think if it was my project and I had a little extra money for the budget I would use that $7 and use Roxul insulation in the stud cavities instead of fibreglass insulation and 2" rigid foam against the concrete .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for the input, but I seem to have forgotten details.

The Ener-Air is 4x8 sheets, but the XPS is 2x8 sheets, so for 7$ more I get 80% more material, roughly. So I would actually be saving a bunch of money in that aspect, and roxul 14 (2x4's) would be between studs. Thing is though, I have wicked R value in the spring, fall, and summer, but I am basically running on Roxul 14 in winter +- 3-6r with the Ener-air.

As money is not a huge concern, but is still relevant, this is why I was looking at this, but you get serious R value reduction, basically non existent if it hits -20c, luckily comfort bat will be a help.

My prices are:

2" 4x8 ISO panel @ 13r - 27$ tax in

2" 2x8 XPS panel @ 10r - 20$ tax in

Pros for ISO
Nearly half the price (leftovers from commercial)
1.5R/inch higher

Cons
R value decreases quite a bit once it hits 10c, nearly non existent at -20c
can shrink up to 1% in it's lifespan.

I will have to go over the budget and figure things out, even though it's cheaper, it has it's drawbacks and not a commonly used item in residential construction, I don't want to save a few hundred now and pay for it later either.

Cheers

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm

I would contact then (IKO) to see if its even recommended for use indoors and for your application.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon