basement wall to cold room (cellar) moisture control

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
John2218

basement wall to cold room (cellar) moisture control

Post by John2218 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Shannon,

First I would like to thank you for many videos you have on youtube.
They help a lot in understanding different aspects of home projects.
I intend to insulate my basement.The height is 8ft, 2 ft above grade.
I understand that we need to use house wrap like Tyvek as moisture barrier on cement walls from grade down in the basement.
But there is a small porch at the front and under it is the cold room (or cellar).
This cold room has also 2ft above grade and the rest below grade.
I understand that the wall separating the cold room from the basement is considered as an external wall for the basement so it needs insulation like any other wall.
Because on the other side is the cold room is this basement wall whole height considered above grade and does not require moisture barrier ?

Thank you,
John

Shannon

Re: basement wall to cold room (cellar) moisture control

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:21 am

Good question, I would say that it would not be considered an exterior wall but I would bring the moisture barrier around the corner onto these walls at least 4 feet or cover it just like the others to be better protected. The 4 feet from the corners will at least direct any moisture that builds at the outer corner (frost) from getting into insulation. This wall will also get insulated and vapour barrier since it is a cool wall to prevent air and moisture movement .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:30 pm

We do these on custom homes all the time. Treat the whole thing like an exterior wall where the basement wall meets the cold storage since there tends to be a lot of moisture in there. Moisture barrier against the foundation wall, vapour barrier between the studs and drywall.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 pm

DanM wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:30 pm
We do these on custom homes all the time. Treat the whole thing like an exterior wall where the basement wall meets the cold storage since there tends to be a lot of moisture in there. Moisture barrier against the foundation wall, vapour barrier between the studs and drywall.
Good point you will get some moisture with the difference in temps
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

John2218

Post by John2218 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Thank you guys.
Should I respect the rule regarding that no moisture barrier above grade for this particular wall?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:28 pm

It may be a good idea to go right up. Likely no issues if you don’t but it should not hurt either