How do I fill in floor opening after removing stairs

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
HoosierDaddy

How do I fill in floor opening after removing stairs

Post by HoosierDaddy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:50 am

I'm renovating the basement will be removing the stairs leading to the main floor. I am looking for info on how to best seal off the hole where the stairs are. Any explanation or links to videos or howtos would be appreciated.

Shannon

Re: Basement stairs

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:20 pm

I have no videos or articles but doing what you want is not real difficult.
You will find that the joists on each side of the stairwell are doubled up. This will give you lots of strength around the opening and a great place to attach new floor joists and joist hangers . If your stair well is less than 4' wide 2x6 joist will work just fine if you want you can use joist that are the same depth as your existing floor system though. Make sure you install the joists in metal joist hangers and keep the top of joists flush to the top of the existing joists. The new joists do not need to be cut to fit super tight. Because of the joist hangers you can leave yourself a little wiggle room to slip them in. Once the joists are in a properly fastened you can install some plywood the same thickness as existing floor and from there do what you need to do to prep for the flooring you will choose. You can likely leave the old stairs in place while doing the joists to allow easy working platform and then remove them.
Hope this helps.

FYI I moved and edited you original post slightly to make it into its own thread. I'm sure you noticed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: How do I fill in floor opening after removing stairs

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:23 pm

I agree with all Shannon's points.

Just curious, what will be the access if you are deleting these stairs?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Thanks for the quick response Shannon. So my new joists would run perpendicular to regular joists right? What spacing should I use between my new joist, 16"?

A. Spurce I have access through the mudroom and backstairs, leaving these in would take away too much of the rec space for the basement.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:14 pm

I would run the joists parallel to the existing, that way you're not scratching your head on why you can't find a joist later when you're trying to install the stipper pole. :P ;) and I'd keep with the existing joist spacing as well, use the joist back a bay or two from the stair well opening as your start point, again, this keeps your joists on the same pattern should you need to find one later.

You can never have too much space in a rec room! Might even need to push the back wall out a few more feet. ;) ;)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 pm

HoosierDaddy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:59 pm
Thanks for the quick response Shannon. So my new joists would run perpendicular to regular joists right? What spacing should I use between my new joist, 16"?

A. Spurce I have access through the mudroom and backstairs, leaving these in would take away too much of the rec space for the basement.
Thats what I would do. Spruces suggestion is fine as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon