She Shed

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
sawxfan

She Shed

Post by sawxfan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Shannon,
Thank you for what you do for us DIYers. You are great.

I want to build a 10x6 "she shed" that attaches to the outside wall of our home.
I would like it to match the look of the existing home which is modern. I looked at your videos for a stand alone 8x6 shed and there is a lot of great information there, but was wondering if there is anything you would recommend about attaching it to the home. I know I have to break off all the existing stucco to get to the wall but any other tid bits about building it off the existing wall?

Also, would like the roof to be modern lines, most likes angled from front to back. do you have any videos showing more modern roofs?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best

A. Spruce

Re: She Shed

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:04 pm

A few things for you to think about:

1 - This will require permits and inspections because you are building an addition onto a house, you're NOT building a shed.
2 - The only way to answer your questions about how to blend it into the existing structure is to see the existing structure and where you want to attach this addition.
3 - While this is not an overly difficult project, it is not necessarily a DIY project because you're going to get into footings and foundations, structural work to the existing house wall, framing, electrical, and a few other things that aren't coming to mind at the moment.
4 - Because of the permits and structural details, you will need a full set of plans drawn to submit to the building department for approval before they issue permits. And, before you think about proceeding without these things, insurance companies greatly frown upon unpermitted work, to the point that they will NOT honor claims and WILL drop you as a policy holder.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: She Shed

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes I agree that this has gone past a stand alone shed type project to an addition. This will also effect your taxes in most cases.
Maybe think about a lean to shed structure positioned close to the house instead . Check the rules for your city as far as how close a shed can be to your home as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon