Serious Foundation Sill, Floor and Rim Joist Rot

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
RICHat22

Serious Foundation Sill, Floor and Rim Joist Rot

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:58 pm

OK, guys. I'm here because I trust several of you after 3 or 4 years of watching your advice. I bring common sense and you all bring experience. LOL. Plus I like watching people like Shannon's attention to detail. And I hope this is the proper forum category.

Some of you know I've been off and on my remodeling of bedrooms for almost 2 years. I'm in Alabama in case it matters. I had a soft spot in my hallway to master BR and decided to fix it quick. Upon inspection I found my 9 inch crawl space has nearly no ventilation and the soft was due to 1/2" plywood. The fix years later was to add 3/4" particle (NOT OSB) on top. All this part of my 1940's house I'm referencing was a new addition in 1982 or so. I said that's NFG. So I tore deeper into the adjoining (through the wall) to the master bath. I found the bathroom had been repaired very poorly a minimum or twice, likely three times. Very poorly. I can't even attempt to describe the level of crap. BTW, there has never been code of any sort here. I'm not even sure if they issue permits. Here we are now with the pics.

My wife is gone on a cruise this week so what better time to tear apart the bathroom? Why not remodel while we're in there? Oh, because everything is either vapor/water damaged or has/had termites. I did find one pocket of active termites that I also have to deal with. They were immediately removed and set on fire.

Now for my plea for suggestions. Everything you see related to floors, all joists, sill plates, etc is rotten. Beyond any good spots to jack against that I've found so far. I even considered jacking, replacing rim joists and sills, and sliding and blocking the wood under the bathtub. Then I crawled further and found way worse. I bought several 12T jacks today to level while in here before I found the rest. The bathtub won't come out without removing the door frame and part of a wall. This brick is an easily accessed exterior wall with vinyl siding over wood. I have maybe 8 inches max from ground to bottom of rotten floor joists. I would probably have to span 8 ft or better to even get on anything solid. I'm not sure 4x4s would lift that width. I can make some steel spans if needed. This is new territory to me, but I am completely capable with direction. Thanks for the help, and for all the time you guys put into helping others.

Brian
Attachments
20181103_201040.jpg
20181103_201040.jpg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 178 times
20181103_191934.jpg
20181103_191934.jpg (106.15 KiB) Viewed 178 times
20181103_201137.jpg
20181103_201137.jpg (78.75 KiB) Viewed 178 times

A. Spruce

Re: Serious Foundation Sill, Floor and Rim Joist Rot

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:03 pm

At first blush, I'd say that this is far beyond a simple DIY project, as you've noted, the rot is far more extensive than anticipated. Where are you going to support from? Where are you going to lift? Where are your reference points to know what needs to be lifted/moved. And lastly, lumber that built a 1940's house is not the same dimension as lumber sold today, which is going to exacerbate your problems as you try to do the repairs.

Is the rot confined to the bathroom space or does it spread out further?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 pm

About those termites, hopefully you found and removed the entire colony, otherwise you're in for more heartache as they continue to munch away at your house. If you are confident you got 'em, treat the surrounding areas with a solution of 1/2 cup 20 mule team borax to a gallon of hot water, spray on liberally with a garden sprayer, let dry, repeat 3X. It will not be a bad idea to treat the new materials in a similar manner. If you have found tubules from the ground or along the foundation, treat them as well. When you're done with your repairs, make sure you clean up ALL wood/cellulose debris from the crawlspace, otherwise you're simply ringing a dinner bell to attract more termites.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:20 pm

I plan to spray the new lumber with something, along with trenching the exterior and using some Taurus SC or similar. Borax I wondered about. There are no tubes so I assume they are crawling up the cinder blocks and across. Which brought another thought about some type of termite shield on the blocks.

This part of the house was added in 1982 or 83. So all the lumber is the same. I know this is well above and beyond a normal DIY, but I think I can handle it. Where to support is my biggest issue. Single story so I may temp wall outside under trusses and inside ceiling in BR and laundry room (either sides of bathroom).

I'm going to pull vinyl siding in the AM and see how much deeper we go. An 8PM inspection looks likes MOST is confined in the immediate area of the bathroom. I feel like a slow tub drip, shoddy patches, and poor venting caused most of this. Maybe the moisture drew in termites? Plus the previous idiots did leave the old wood laying on the ground many years ago. Every crumb will be removed. I have a portable dust collector setup so I may even vacuum everything.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:24 pm

BTW, I have several contractor friends locally as well. But I only trust 2 of them as they are picky as me when it comes to doing it right. The rest may have been the ones that did this over the years. I just really needed to get this done before Tuesday and that's not happening now I'm pretty sure.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:18 pm

If it were me, I'd pull drywall before siding because it's easier to repair/replace. If you've got rot in the walls, you won't have any choice but to open from the outside as well.

You are on the right track supporting/lifting from the ceiling/rafter tails. Just work extremely carefully, you neither want to improperly lift/support, nor move things excessively. Make sure your lift/support points can handle what you're going to ask of them.

I wish I could be more specific on exactly what to do, but without standing next to you and assessing the situation, it's really hard to give you direction.

If you're careful and lucky, you can replace the floor with the tub in place, is it going to be easy, no, but if you can't get the tub out of the way, you have to work with what you've got. What you can probably do is replace the floor up to the tub, then pull the tub and stand it in the corner to finish the floor. If you can work from the other side of the wall, that will be a huge help, meaning opening up the floor like you've done in the bathroom.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:18 am

Ya this is a big job I agree! It is really hard for us to completely help without hands/eyes on the project. Be very sure you get back as far as you possibly can with this rott. You dont want to do a patch job like the last people . I am not a pro on termites at all because it is no problem in my area but you may have to look at professional help for them .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:58 am

Thank you. Very helpful. Maybe even encouraging. I know you're advising me kind of blind. That's why the long post. LOL. Trying to give as much info as I can. And since you can't see, the tub/shower unit is one piece 50" wide (entire BA width), and over 6 ft tall. That's what brought the vinyl siding idea since that's where my rot is underneath.

As far as lifting I was hoping to go an inch or less to do what I need. My original idea was to jack and complete floor/joists on other end, then move to this end minus one joist so I had room to move. Tearing floor to edges everywhere and blocking some and sistering others all with PT lumber and galvanized hardware. What wasn't completely replaced anyway. That's when I found rot all the way to the siding, under tub, under bearing and non-bearing walls, etc. Nothing solid at all for several feet in any direction.

I may pull some drywall from the closet and laundry room and see what the int and ext walls look like before progressing. Good idea. All 2x4 walls I've tested so far are still solid. I'll let y'all know where this goes later today.

Shannon, as far as termite control... Inspector missed this on purchase 9 years ago. Crawl space is inaccessible due to joists being 4 inches off ground in many spots (hence leaving a joist out for room to work). Why these cheap idiots didn't use PT is beyond me. But my pest company stated they couldn't do a termite contract due to not having 12" crawl space everywhere. Wondering now if he knew something about this house before I bought.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:19 am

And just like that, Shannon uploads a siding video in case I need it. :)

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:17 am

Against better advice, I decided to pull siding. While out inspecting I found it very loose and most just fell off from rusted nails or not hitting studs...

Total area of damage looks to be 15 ft wide. Active termites and water damage, and a mouse. Rain late tonight and storms Mon/Tues. So likely to be tool deep in this all day. Walls and wall base plate look/feel good throughout. Thinking of trying to hit the rafter overhang outside at the wall edge, get it up a half inch or so, and just push a new sill and rim joist from outside to inside. In sections of course. Going to study more.

BTW, all that easily tore off with hands. 3/8" board whatever it is was mush, styro insulation on top of that. I literally could have pushed through with my pinky finger
Attachments
20181104_090210.jpg
20181104_090210.jpg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 155 times
20181104_090203.jpg
20181104_090203.jpg (108.31 KiB) Viewed 155 times
20181104_085621.jpg
20181104_085621.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 155 times
20181104_085236.jpg
20181104_085236.jpg (102.94 KiB) Viewed 155 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:33 am

I will caution lifting on the rafters, many times they are only toe nailed and you could actually push them off the top plate. Use a 4/4 or something that is maybe 8-10’ long so you are pushing up on a few at a time to spread out pressure or you may have to attach a 2/6. (Leg bolted) across a few studs and lift there. Not as easy as you are restricted to being really close to the wall but can be done.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:46 am

Additionally, only lift as little as you need to do the work and support it with lumber, don't rely solely on the jack, as it could leak, fail, or slip out.

You could lift/support, remove rim joist, block support between joists, slide in new joists, reinstall rim joist. Rim joist can be done in sections, split joints at end of joist

Because of the termites and extent of overall damage, double check the sill plate of the wall when you've got better access to the bottom of it.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:07 pm

I told my son that about the rafters. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even nailed. I came to the orange store to get some 1/2 osb for top half and 1/2 PT ply for bottom half. That 3/8 is literally cardboard turned mush. That way the wall is sound against twist before I touch it. Then will probably drop a 4x4 through rim and lift small areas at a time replacing. And I plan to look at wall base during. Thabks for that. More to come...

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:12 pm

The "cardboard" is an insulation panel of compressed cellulose, which was a common thing back in the day.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:57 pm

There was 1/4 foam on top of that. So they had nothing for structure or shear? The entire contents of the wall is drywall, fiberglass insulation, two-by-fours, cardboard junk, foam board, and vinyl siding.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Back in the day they used 1x4 let-in braces. They built the wall and notched the studs and put in the 1x4 diagonally. All this was done on the ground before the wall was lifted into place. As you open up the walls, you'll see this in the exterior walls primarily, but it was also done to interior walls if they were structural.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 am

I hope y'all don't mind me updating you guys and documenting what I'm doing on your forum. I appreciate the help, and hope it may help someone else. With that said, make sure you point out mistakes so others maybe don't follow mine. :)

I have to drive 40 miles each way to get materials on Sundays. Small town. I usually go orange only due to past experience with blue locally, but had to get the wrap and orange was out of smaller rolls. OCD would not allow me to flip it backwards as much as I wanted. I was pressed for time with rain moving in and completely what I needed with about 20 mins to spare to clean up tools.

The walls had nothing except 2x4's, insulation, and drywall on them inside. The 3/8 "cardboard" outside had sheathing printed on them, but in no way could have provided support. Best I can tell the walls are OK.

I went back with 7/16" OSB since it was much cheaper than ply. The bottom 2 ft will be sheets of GC 15/32" PT plywood ripped in half. I decided to lay everything horizontally specifically since I will be putting a vertical twist on it jacking. I felt that would hold things square a bit better. I also bought some galvanized 3" ring nails since most what I'm using will be treated wood. The bottom part of wrap is not stapled yet. Just had to protect from rain temporarily.

Today, we jack the house... I have tons of Oak and Hickory 4x12x6 blocks from a friend that owns a pallet making factory. Concrete blocks with sheet metal, and probably treated scraps, for the permanent supports. I am going to make some 6 ft 2-1/2" thick wall square steel beams reinforced with 1/4" flat bar in the middle to use with my multiple 12 ton jacks to get the house up. Likely in 2-4 ft sections. I will cut open the floor in the laundry room to access the carport corner, the BR corner I can get to underneath from BA.

Should I use the sheet metal between block and sill/rim as a flashing and bug protection, or will treated be enough? I'll update later today as I have a window before tonight's storms move in. Then I can finish inside for a day or two.
Attachments
20181104_180253.jpg
20181104_180253.jpg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 121 times
20181104_165846.jpg
20181104_165846.jpg (93.85 KiB) Viewed 121 times
20181104_161512.jpg
20181104_161512.jpg (129.04 KiB) Viewed 121 times
20181104_161349.jpg
20181104_161349.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 121 times
20181104_153002.jpg
20181104_153002.jpg (99 KiB) Viewed 121 times

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:58 am

Also, keep in mind I have an obscene amount of tools compared to the normal person. So it has been made MUCH easier with that. I tried to save as much siding and parts that I could. But several pieces had holes in them because people are stupid with mowers and trimmers. It's white 4" so should be easy enough to get matched. Maybe for free having a friend or two.
Attachments
20181104_190623.jpg
20181104_190623.jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 121 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 am

What are the 3" ring nails for?

I don't see a need to flash the foundation/sill joint, unless it sticks out an inch in both directions it won't be much of a barrier to termites. You're better off with the borax solution I mentioned earlier, it is a permanent barrier that termites won't cross because it will kill them! :twisted:

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:17 am

I will look for some Borax here shortly.

Ring nails make me feel better against working back out of the wood long term.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am

If you don't have any, borax can be found in the laundry detergent aisle. Cheap, easy to use, works!

I know what ring nails are for, where are you using them? Frankly, for the framing members, it's overkill, you don't need them and if you have any future repairs to do they will make that more difficult. If they're for the sheathing, 3" nails are way too long and you'll likely be skewering some wires or plumbing if you use them for the sheathing.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:06 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am
If you don't have any, borax can be found in the laundry detergent aisle. Cheap, easy to use, works!

I know what ring nails are for, where are you using them? Frankly, for the framing members, it's overkill, you don't need them and if you have any future repairs to do they will make that more difficult. If they're for the sheathing, 3" nails are way too long and you'll likely be skewering some wires or plumbing if you use them for the sheathing.
They are for the sheathing and framing. And yes they will be horrible to remove. But I'm all about overkill. :) Plus that was the only size ring and galvanized I could find in stock besides 1-5/8" smaller shanks. And I didn't want to buy two 2000 nail boxes for only a couple hundred. I have to use galv due to PT wood. And I'm not hammering anything when I have all these shiny nail guns.

I did check the walls before. This section had nothing at all. Closet, backside of shower/tub unit, and little bit of laundry room.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Just because you have power tools, doesn't mean that you should be using them in this instance. Also, doing repairs with the correct materials, is the correct way to do it. You, yourself, were complaining about previous work not done well. As small a gripe as it is, 3" ring nails to attach 7/16" sheathing is the mark of an amateur. Hand nailing a couple sheets of sheathing isn't a big deal, plus, you can tell when you're hand nailing whether you're hitting the studs or not, something that is not so easy with a nail gun. Regular GVS or galvanized 8d nails will suffice.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Point taken and appreciated. And I'm sure many of you could pick my work apart. I hate going behind anyone besides me. That's why I am asking for advice to begin with. I'm pretty sure this job would easily costs thousands and not sure if homeowners would cover. I feel I'm very capable, but needed some direction on details, plus was trying not to ask about every single step. I was limited on selection and thought ring nails were the way to go. I knew galvanized was for most of my work.

The reason I have to nail gun is I'm not physically capable of swinging a hammer a lot. Carpal Tunnel and nerves issues in my neck. This job has me hurting already. I even bought a hammer tacker a couple weeks ago because the manual staple gun was killing my wrists. That was great on the wrap. Which I will tape and caulk seams and windows. I guess that's the proper way. I'll check when I get there.

Thanks for your help, Spruce. I found that brand Borax and will be doing that as well. Back to my rat killing...

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 pm

RICHat22 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:05 pm
Point taken and appreciated. And I'm sure many of you could pick my work apart.
That was not my intent, and I apologize if I came across harshly, again, not my intent. Knowing you have physical limitations makes the nail gun usage understandable. You gotta do what you gotta do.

You're right, this would be an expensive proposition if you weren't doing it yourself, I'd hazard a guess of between 5-7K, depending on what level of finish you take the interior to. Insurance would probably pick up a portion of that, but to me it's a very slippery slope with insurance claims, one or two claims and your rates go up and they may drop you as a client.

Re: Borax, I am not one who likes pesticides which are toxic to just about everything BUT what you're trying to kill. Borax is only lethal to the pests, it is not harmful to you the user, your kids, pets, or livestock. As I understand it, it works by disrupting the pest's digestive system, either making them sick or unable to process what they eat, resulting in starvation. They don't seem to like direct contact with it either, which is why it works as a barrier if you were to spray your foundation wall and ground a few inches away from the foundation and piers supports. I've used it with great success on both ants and termites.

At any rate, keep up the good work and posting on your progress. Also, don't be shy about asking questions, that's how we all learn and avoid mistakes. 8-)

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:44 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 pm

That was not my intent, and I apologize if I came across harshly, again, not my intent. Knowing you have physical limitations makes the nail gun usage understandable. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Insurance would probably pick up a portion of that, but to me it's a very slippery slope with insurance claims, one or two claims and your rates go up and they may drop you as a client.

It's all good. I'm not disabled, just worked myself too hard over the years. I still work on cars daily and own an 8 bay shop the last 8-1/2 years. Been an owner or manager since 15.

And you're right about the insurance. I have very good insurance, but it's multi-policy. I'm worried if I make a claim they may inspect and cancel. And down here it's VERY hard to find someone to insure a house with natural gas heat. Even with the nice gas logs in the fireplace. They just won't. I learned many years ago don't tell them crap unless you're filing a claim.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:19 am

So what don’t they like about Ngas? That is the preferred and most common heating source here .

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:32 am

Yeah, that sounds a bit unreasonable to me as well. It's not like you live in the northeast where the utility was blowing up houses because their lines were over pressurized.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 am

Shannon wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:19 am
So what don’t they like about Ngas? That is the preferred and most common heating source here .
To be specific, most companies here will not write a policy on the house if it has anything except CH&A for propane or NG. So they allow central NG/LPG, but if you have gas logs or wall heaters or the floor heaters, etc. You're SOL.

And after the massive tornados we had in 2011, ALFA (my company) dropped ALL non-multi-policy holders. If I didn't have auto and boat with them, they would have dropped me.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 am

Oh ok I see , NG central furnaces are fine. That makes more sense