Accessing the Sewer cleanout under tiles.

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
krsushil

Accessing the Sewer cleanout under tiles.

Post by krsushil » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi all,

I came out across this forum while watching one of the video related to fixing ceramic tiles. I have a bit more difficult problem and wanted to know if anyone has better idea on how to go about it.

We have a basement finishing project in GTA area of Ontario. The contractor who was working on the tiles in basement kitchen area covered all of the floor with tiles. We have a sewer cleanout which he was supposed to make it accessible. Now he is gone and we are stuck with the problem of finding the sewer cleanout.

Luckily, we have some pictures which give us approximate idea of where the cleanout is. I know that we can break few tiles completely to find it and fix with newer tiles. But i am just wondering if there is alternative way of taking the tiles out without braking it? We don't have any matching tiles so wanted to know how much feasible the idea is to take the tiles out, cut the access hole at exact location and put it back.

Also, what kind of cover is generally used to access such cleanout which can flush well with the tiled floor. Any experiences/ideas will be highly appreciated. :)

A. Spruce

Re: Accessing the Sewer cleanout under tiles.

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Gently tap the tile with a hammer where you suspect the clean out to be, there should be a change in the sound when you find the clean out. If the CO is metal, a metal detector will find it, if it's ferrous metal, a magnet will find it.

As for a finished floor accessible plug, that should have been installed BEFORE the tile work, since you're probably going to have to chip concrete to set it at the right height and have access to the line to do the work. After the fact, you're just going to have to find the drain, minimally chip out the tile, just enough to know the depth you're working with, then start shopping for something that will work. Hopefully, you'll find a plug that will do the job without having to alter the existing access point.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Yup I agree also chances are very slim that you can save the tiles unless they were poorly installed, good news is that since they were just installed you should be able to purchase more.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Before I'd go doing any damage, I would surgically drill some holes through the tile over the clean out, and chip it out that way, then there's less chance of collateral damage. While I doubt that you'll find an off the shelf cover that will work for you, no sense doing any more damage than necessary until you have a better idea of what your options are.

Push comes to shove, if you have to replace a few tiles, being new, you should be able to find a few replacements, if you can't, then you can strategically remove tiles throughout the floor to create a pattern and use a different tile in these spaces, that way it will look like you meant to do it that way, instead of a screw up. 8-)

krsushil

Post by krsushil » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:38 am

Thanks a lot guys. These are very helpful tips. I never checked if the CO plug/s before was metal or not. I just posted some pics. If you have any idea, what kind of plug these are? I wish these are metal, as finding the metal would give me precise location. It is difficult to figure out exact distance from the pictures.
Attachments
NewPlug.JPG
access for cleanout
NewPlug.JPG (21.55 KiB) Viewed 71 times
4.JPG
4 - tiled
4.JPG (34.32 KiB) Viewed 71 times
3.jpg
3- drywall
3.jpg (25.28 KiB) Viewed 71 times
2.jpg
2 - framed
2.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 71 times
1.jpg
1- Before framing
1.jpg (54 KiB) Viewed 71 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:46 am

So those pictures should really help and the fact that the switch on the wall positivity identifys the position . I noticed you actually have two clean outs to uncover.

So the clean out to the right is met the edge of the first full tile and I think the other one is in the tile directly beside that one
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:13 pm

If you look at the pic of the bare framing, the clean out on the right is directly in line with a wall stud ( 3rd wall stud in front of that cover box) and out approximately 8"-10" out from that wall. The clean out on the left is approximately 4"-6" further out and 6"-8" to the left of the first one.

Have you tried tapping the floor and listening for different sounds? The drain should have a bit of a hollow knock to it, where you'll get more of a ping from everywhere else. It would also be easy enough to make an inspection hole in the cover box to locate the pipe, then speculate the clean outs in front of it.

This is my guess. If you look at the drywall seam, this seam is visible at the bottom of the painted wall, this is where the CO on the right is.
-
4.JPG
4.JPG (36.64 KiB) Viewed 63 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Ya you are correct Spruce ,on my phone I could not tell in third and fourth picture . I though he had the drywall chunk laying in the drains and circled in the next picture and that was under the switch in wall both times . They are for sure near the first drywall seam

krsushil

Post by krsushil » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Thank you guys for your help. it was clear from the pictures that one of the CO is in front of the stud and second one is in front of the black pipe, but figuring out the distance exactly is the issue.

I tried the tapping on the tiles in front but i could not tell the difference. My first attempt of doing this kind of job. :(. I will try my luck to dig few holes based on approximate distances. :)

8-10 inches from wall => Will start with a hole 9 inches from wall in front of third stud to see what i get :) .. Worst case i spoil 1-2 tiles. Hopefully i would be able to find a close match tiles.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Let us know how it goes. 8-)