Auto paint question

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
RPD

Auto paint question

Post by RPD » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 am

Attached is a photo of a spot on my new truck's paint. The guy at the car wash says it is bee poop, which will not wash off. Any ideas on how to get rid of it and, more importantly, how to protect the paint from this sort of problem?
(Yeah, I know, this is a House Improvements forum, but you guys seem to know everything.)
Attachments
IMG_5400.jpg
IMG_5400.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 82 times

A. Spruce

Re: Auto paint question

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:24 pm

I get little yellow/gold dobs on my truck all the time, no the car wash doesn't take them off very well, a fingernail does though. Run through the car wash, then towel off the vehicle and scrape off the gunk with your fingernail, then buff the spot, you'll never know it was there.

Keeping your vehicle waxed will help to keep such things from sticking so badly, or you can use a product like Rain-X, or you can use a fancier ceramic coating such as the one shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuUfTVf_mMU
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm

What brand of truck?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Shannon wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm
What brand of truck?
Good catch! ;) :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:10 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 pm
Shannon wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm
What brand of truck?
Good catch! ;) :lol:
;)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:24 am

Scrape off the gunk with your fingernail? The horror :D

It would be gentler on your paint to use a clay bar system, it's designed to remove contaminants that sit atop the paint - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M63TQHO/ - I recommend doing the entire vehicle as they work really well at taking off basically every piece of junk that's accumulated on the painted surface.

Then follow up with any quality wax for protection.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:03 pm

If it's glass, a single-edge razor works nicely for scraping off dried goobers. For house windows I use it all the time for errant drips of dried spray foam or paint. For the vehicle's body, yeah, use your fingernail if you don't mind possibly having to get your nails done again. :? :lol: Or use a guitar pick or credit card or something to scrape it off.

Solvents you can try are denatured or isopropyl alcohol. Or mineral spirits (paint thinner). Or maybe a few drops just vegetable oil.

I'm not a fan of Rain-X or any sort of synthetic film you are applying to glass. I found that Rain-X over time gets cloudy and smeary with rain and road dust. No, just semi-frequent washes are a good thing, I think.