Structural Styrofoam Panels?

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Ked326

Structural Styrofoam Panels?

Post by Ked326 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:11 pm

I'm looking at purchasing a house with a foundation made with Structural Styrofoam panels. I have found some information on them for main floors but not much as a foundation. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this product?
Thanks

A. Spruce

Re: Structural Styrofoam Panels?

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:58 am

I do not. I would recommend finding a few manufacturers and read through their websites.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:57 am

ICF basements and foundations are built a lot here. They are kind of like hollow foam lego blocks and have been a really good alternative to the regular method of forming and pouring basements/foundations as they offer great R value immediately .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:49 am

There are many manufactures of Structural Insulated wall panels.

OSB with EPS Core I don't think it can be used below grade. Some do not meet Seismic Code. Check the Structural Panel Assoc. for info. I have used 3 D foam reinforced panels below grade very strong product it was manufactured in Georgia by In-Steel. There is also a composite Panel System which can be used below grade. You will have to know what type system was used.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:11 am

ohh I may have mis understood what product you have? I missed the words "structural panel" maybe you are talking about SIP's ? I have not seen those used below grade here at all ?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:13 pm

So I did a little more digging and SIPs are indeed built to be used below ground like for a basement . They will have PT plywood on the outsides instead of standard plywood or OSB. It would seem they are much like building a PT wood basement and take extra care during backfilling and also being sure the waterproofing , drainage and soil conditions are correct. There is a fair amount of info here both good and bad so have a look.
https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8
Also this guy has some good info on his site ,it is a little dated however.
https://baileylineroad.com