What caused this and why?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
DPFAST

What caused this and why?

Post by DPFAST » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Maybe 12 years ago when we moved in to this townhome I've repainted this room but since few months ago I've been noticing these paint cracks on the wall. It looks like it's on both sides of a drywall tape. Does anyone knows why this is happening? Easiest way to fix it? And can this be a sign of a bigger underlying problem or nothing series?
Attachments
20181129_111818.jpg
20181129_111818.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 128 times
20181129_111746.jpg
20181129_111746.jpg (18.61 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Clarence

Re: What caused this and why?

Post by Clarence » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Moisture Problem

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:26 pm

If the lines are perfectly straight, then it is indeed cracking along a tape line or joint.

If it's tape, it's probably because it wasn't bedded properly when installed, usually the result of squishing too much mud out from under the tape. If you lightly tap along both sides of the crack, you might hear or feel the tape being loose. The fix is to remove what you can peel off or retape the cracks, the latter is easier, but may result in failure in the future. Removing the loose stuff now and starting fresh should be a permanent fix.

It is possible that it's a moisture problem, but I would think there would be other signs of problems than a crack in the center of the wall. The few times I've seen moisture peel up a tape joint there were obvious signs or causes surrounding it, such as flood water, burst pipe, black mold/mildew at base of wall and floor, things like this. If there are no windows, doors, or water sources anywhere near this, then it probably isn't moisture related. Is there a mildew odor in the room, that is another sign of high moisture.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:26 pm
If the lines are perfectly straight, then it is indeed cracking along a tape line or joint.

If it's tape, it's probably because it wasn't bedded properly when installed, usually the result of squishing too much mud out from under the tape. If you lightly tap along both sides of the crack, you might hear or feel the tape being loose. The fix is to remove what you can peel off or retape the cracks, the latter is easier, but may result in failure in the future. Removing the loose stuff now and starting fresh should be a permanent fix.

It is possible that it's a moisture problem, but I would think there would be other signs of problems than a crack in the center of the wall. The few times I've seen moisture peel up a tape joint there were obvious signs or causes surrounding it, such as flood water, burst pipe, black mold/mildew at base of wall and floor, things like this. If there are no windows, doors, or water sources anywhere near this, then it probably isn't moisture related. Is there a mildew odor in the room, that is another sign of high moisture.
Thanks Spruce. Well, my home is actually little on a dry side I always thought. There is no water source of any kind in any of the two walls. Both walls with the same problem are on the opposite sides of the room. One wall is the common wall and on the other side of the second wall is living room and I also believe that this wall is a weight bearing wall as well. No mildew smells in the house. I am afraid of touching this before I am ready to actually finish it so I will probably revisit this in the spring again. Thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 am

I have seen paint do that when applied to thick at a time? Or if it did not bond right to the original surface because of contamination. Are you sure it was not there from the start and you just did not notice it?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:29 am

Shannon wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 am
I have seen paint do that when applied to thick at a time? Or if it did not bond right to the original surface because of contamination. Are you sure it was not there from the start and you just did not notice it?
I don't think I would of paint it over this even 12 years ago when I did not know any better although It may have been a sight cracking (beginning of it) that I did not see as a problem and just a thought of fresh coat of paint covering it would cross my mind until it started coming through again now, that's very possible scenario :oops: :oops: :oops:
So to fix it how possible is to match the exact paint color now after all these years to just paint this spot? Or painting the whole wall would be required? Maybe even the whole room for everything match correctly? Actually I just took a another look and discovered same thing is happening to the window wall as well.
20181130_091250.jpg
20181130_091250.jpg (16.82 KiB) Viewed 100 times
And actually both horizontal drywall tapes are cracking on one wall and only a one on the other.
20181130_091530-picsay.jpg
20181130_091530-picsay.jpg (18.22 KiB) Viewed 100 times
It looks like maybe someone did very awful job taping this drywall from the beginning. Now everything is coming out. It looks like a lot and lot of work to fix this, isn't it?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm

To blend new paint into the old, especially if it hasn't been painted in 12 years, you will have to paint the entire wall. Prime the repaired area, then prime the entire wall, then two coats of paint. Because you've got cracks in multiple walls, I'd simply repaint the entire room, after 12 years it's probably due anyway.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:12 pm

what ever those cracks are will likely show through even a new coat of paint.
If the cracked areas are loose you could try to peal it off and then do some patching and sanding, after that you could paint. Painting with a lower sheen paint will help hide these areas as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon