Deck Ledger Flashing Ends?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
MindBender

Deck Ledger Flashing Ends?

Post by MindBender » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 am

Hi Shannon

Building inspector requires ledger for a deck to be installed on sheathing. I therefore have to cut out the stucco and z flash bottom and top to keep water out, which is fine. However, I'm a little confused on how to handle the ends.

One end is on a corner, so once I cut out the stucco - it will become vulnerable to rain behind the ledger.

The other side will become recessed into the stucco.

The deck is going to be covered in vinyl, so I'm really confused on how to keep water out of the vulnerable end points of the ledger - any ideas would be really helpful!

A. Spruce

Re: Deck Ledger Flashing Ends?

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Flash the top and bottom and elastomeric caulk the ends.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Do it just like you would a window or door.
Have a sheet metal shop make an end cap out or the same material as the Z flashing install end cap with peel & stick under it & make sure the water barrier under the Stucco & peel & Stick are in the correct order same as for the Window. After the end cap is in place install the top Z flashing over the end cap & Bottom of cap will be over the Z flashing. Paint the exposed end of the end cap at the corner.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Clarence wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm
Do it just like you would a window or door.
Have a sheet metal shop make an end cap out or the same material as the Z flashing install end cap with peel & stick under it & make sure the water barrier under the Stucco & peel & Stick are in the correct order same as for the Window. After the end cap is in place install the top Z flashing over the end cap & Bottom of cap will be over the Z flashing. Paint the exposed end of the end cap at the corner.
I see what you mean - I have some deck drip edge left over and can probably slide it vertically under the decks own horizontal drip flashing by cutting of the drip edge near the top. Thanks for inspiration!