Bad cement floor under carpet. How to fix before LVP?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Alexmia

Bad cement floor under carpet. How to fix before LVP?

Post by Alexmia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Hello, a fan from South Florida. My wife Karla and I are first time home owners of a 2nd floor Condo. After removing the awful carpet, we discovered a unleveled and cracked cement floor. We wish to install NuCore waterproof LVP planks with cork backing. However, first contractor failed to do a good job of leveling the floor in the guess room. We lost a week and 8 boxes of LVP. Now after getting many estimates from various small and big contractors we are unsure as to how to proceed. Some contractors want to skimm the floor, other want to use sefl leveling, another wants to use plywood and leveler
Please Help!
Attachments
IMAG2561.jpg
IMAG2561.jpg (89.59 KiB) Viewed 99 times
IMAG2571.jpg
IMAG2571.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 99 times
IMAG2570.jpg
IMAG2570.jpg (74.1 KiB) Viewed 99 times
IMAG2569.jpg
IMAG2569.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 99 times
IMAG2563.jpg
IMAG2563.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 99 times

A. Spruce

Re: Bad cement floor under carpet. How to fix before LVP?

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Not sure what would cause pitting like that. Is the surface stable or does it chalk/powder easily?

If it's stable, then I'd simply float it with floor leveling compound and be done with it. Self leveling cement doesn't seem appropriate for this application.

If the floor is unstable, then you will probably need to epoxy coat it to bind it together, then float it with leveling compound.

What is the reason for the stripes?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:55 am

I would guess that the strips are because of the building being built using Pre poured slabs and then they feathered the joints? Is that pitting or is there something splattered or tracked in on the concrete? Why did you "lose" six boxes of flooring? How un even is the surface?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to gather more info.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

agjwilson

Post by agjwilson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Seems you're right and the joints of concrete slabs have been feathered with self leveling. Are the contractors that are suggesting skimming the floor going to use self leveling anyway? (or intending using sand and cement) (check their quote or estimate, hopefully they added the materials they plan to use onto that) If so you're choices are the ply or a screed. But then how thick is the ply? 10mm-12mm? I think thats too much with cork and flooring on top. You really don't have much room to play with looking at where your blinds fall, your skirting and the bottom of your doors are. What you could do is get a large spirit level or feather edge and some chalk and mark out where those big dips are then take a photo. One use of the cork is that it will mould to the shape of the screed below. Anything over 2mm might prove a problem. But any rises and dips below 2mm should be sorted out by the cork.

If you have time and are really in doubt still, then without bonding any cork or planks to the current screed, place them on the floor for half the floor and use your spirit level on top, see how even. Are there dips in the floor more than 3mm?

Just from the photos though. I'd probably say, put the cork and flooring down without a screed. If you do get someone to screed the floor because the floor is too unlevel for the cork and planks then get someone with evidence that they have done this work before. Floor screeds are easy if you do it often. So you want someone who has done this recently.

I learnt how to do floor screeds in college with sand and cement and a trowel. Actually we only used sand because the principal is the same. I've used self leveling and I wouldn't rate it as much as some do. Like I said you need a person who is constantly do screeds often.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm

If the patches are more then 1/8” higher then the low spots you can likely just use a leveled or patch between them. If it’s less then an 1/8” you could likey just feather out the edges and install the flooring.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon