refinish concrete steps and landing with pressure treated lumber

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
kgdewar

refinish concrete steps and landing with pressure treated lumber

Post by kgdewar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:22 pm

hi everyone just a quick question about fastening pressure treated lumber over concrete steps and landing. My plan is to lay 1x4 strips of wood spaced roughly 12 inches apart with construction adhesive and concrete anchors to the steps and landing then lay 1x6 deck boards perpendicular to the strips (im using 1x4 and 1x6 because the height of front door threshold is pretty low)...is there anything special i should be using or is there a few tips anyone can think of. im all for doing things properly and not cutting corners so if there is any suggestions at all feel free to respond its a few months away from spring so i wanted to get a jump on planning now. ive watched Shannons youtube video about fastening wood to concrete so i was thinking of using PL and the nail shank with that slight bend in it. thanks to whoever reads and responds. p.s. this site is great for advice :D
KD.

Shannon

Re: refinish concrete steps and landing with pressure treated lumber

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm

If the existing concrete holds water now and is not sloped to let it drain off then I would likely place the 1x4s up on a 1/4" pvc spacers each fastener to keep it from being in contact with the standing water all the time. You would not use PL adhesive in this case either. Other then that you should be fine.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:12 pm

I actually like to use Trex material in cases like this, to completely eliminate the possibility of rot. At the very least, any wood/concrete contact must be pressure treated.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 am

Trex is a great idea but it sounds like the poster has very little clearance between the step and door opening?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 am

You can buy trex in a 1x material, which is about the same as wood 1x. At least, that's the case here in the States. Look for Trex fascia
https://www.trex.com/products/decking/fascia/

The material I buy is usually a 1x6 dimension. It cuts and mills easier than wood with standard woodworking tools.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Do you think fascia as stringer would work? Pretty thin to fasten the decking to?