Damage to HVAC duct after car crash

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Traveller

Damage to HVAC duct after car crash

Post by Traveller » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:04 pm

I have a two-story single family home with no basement. It's all electric. The low level was nearly demolished when a car crashed into my house. Power and water have been restored so I am able to live upstairs. But there will be VERY major construction going on for a several weeks. There is only one return duct in the low level which was basically cut in two. I am concerned about preventing the sanding dust from migrating throughout the house. So I am asking what would be impact if I covered/sealed that return duct in the low level? Would that cause further problems?

A. Spruce

Re: Damage to HVAC duct after car crash

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I would recommend consulting with a local HVAC shop. The fan inside the unit is designed to have a certain amount of air flow, if you cut half of that off, it can adversely affect the system. A local shop doing an inspection can tell you if blocking off the downstairs portion of the return will have any deleterious effects.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Damage to HVAC duct after car crash

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:43 pm

I would attach a furnace filter over the opening to help with dust but still allow some air flow. Also changing your furnace filters more often during the project will help.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon