Second Story deck Rebuild

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Dennis.86

Second Story deck Rebuild

Post by Dennis.86 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:13 pm

Hello, I'm tearing down an old deck that was 11'3 x 13'11 without cover and wanting to build new slightly bigger deck, with shed style roof, with clear corrugated roof pannels. Attached are the plans I'm hoping to go with. The deck is currently 7' off the ground and would like to keep it that hight.

The deck is currently built on top of a cement patio that runs the length of the house. My questions is, can I continue to do the same with the new build or do I have to dig out footings in front of the cement slab? I dont know how thick it is. If I do have to dig footings, then i will have to move the beam out past the cement.

Also wondering if the shed style roof will work with only 4 posts. We also live on Vancouver Island BC so we dont get much snow. Hard to find info on building shed roofs so I dont know if 2x8 would work for the ridge board and if 2x6 would work for rafters?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Dennis
Attachments
20190309_160602.jpg
20190309_160602.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 83 times
20190309_160551.jpg
20190309_160551.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 83 times

Shannon

Re: Second Story deck Rebuild

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:10 am

Well typically the slab could support the deck if it is at least 4" thick and if it was supporting it before you will likely be ok without the roof. But with the roof load as well you would be safer to cut out 2x2 holes from the slab and drill piles where needed and pour them up to about 6" above the slab and then repair the slab patches.

About your design. Your basic deck design is fine but adding the roof on top of the deck is really not a good one. Your joist size is large enough to span further so you should extend the roof posts to the ground and support the beam from them and eliminate the beam you have. Also you will likely need a middle post for the roof at front and back. What is you closest city so I can spec your actual snow load?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Dennis.86

Post by Dennis.86 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I've made some modifications to my deck plans. Including, extending the deck out further for the footings. Attached are my new drawings. My question is, which 'way' should I notch the posts or do I even have to?

In relation to the roof, is there anyway to not have the 3rd post in the back, whether it be to double or triple the beam? Or to change the rafter layout? And if we had a steeper pitch, would it make a difference at all?

Also we live in Duncan, BC.
Attachments
20190310_165209.jpg
20190310_165209.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 62 times
20190310_173328.jpg
20190310_173328.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 62 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:54 pm

So IMO to run the floor joists that long you would need to go to 2x12 @ 16" O.C. or use a second beam at the inner posts as well then you could back down to 2x8 joists 16" O.C.
You will also need at least one row of blocking between the joists mid span.

Also at this larger size the roof joist would need to increase to 2x8 @16" O.C. even 12" O.C. would be better because that minimal slope will allow more snow to accumulate .
A row of blocking mid span on them as well

My best guess on the roof beams with only two posts would be a 3 ply 2x10 beam min. The main thing here IMO is sag over time with the long span and the snow weight. Keep the snow cleared off as much as possible!!

For the beams they should be fully notched into the posts and through bolted . Outer face or inner face should not matter.

If you don't want to cut the slab on the outer edge to do the piles then I would place the piles as close as you can to shorten the joist length a bit. If you use the two beam system for the floor then that span should not be an issue and going as far out as you have on the 2nd drawing should be ok. I would still attach the ledger to the house for stability though even with the second beam.

The slab should likely be cut and piles poured were the inner posts sit.

I am no engineer so theses are my suggestions only!!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon