Shed Stairs

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Boatnerd

Shed Stairs

Post by Boatnerd » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm

In my shed, I am going to replace the ladder with stairs. Having watched your video on building stringer and stairs for the side of your deck, I can interpolate that to the rise/run on this shed. You mentioned not wanting to "climb mountains", but this is a shed and I will not be going up and down it that much. Is there any thing else to consider (minimum run per step), step thickness, ....

I am looking at a 8'4" rise (total to reach the second floor) and a 5' 6" run (leaving some space at the bottom of the steps before I get to the wall).

Thanks, Dale
Attachments
20190326_175052_3.jpg
20190326_175052_3.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 91 times

A. Spruce

Re: Shed Stairs

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:58 pm

You are correct, being a shed, you can really do whatever you want. The thing is, you have to balance what the stairs are for against what function they will serve, meaning you can essentially replace the ladder with stairs of the same angle, rise, etc., but this is not conducive to carrying heavy or large objects up to the storage area. If all you need is access to the above space, then nailing 2x4's to the wall will suffice as a ladder to get you there. If you have large, heavy, or bulky items to get up there, then you're going to want a more traditional stair with reasonable steps to be able to functionally work for your needs.

Another consideration would be to install an attic ladder, something that will fold up out of the way when not in use, but will satisfy basic needs of accessing overhead areas.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Boatnerd

Post by Boatnerd » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:09 pm

For really bulky items, I can you the "barn" door above the garage door. :)
Attachments
20181026_180427.jpg
20181026_180427.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 85 times

Boatnerd

Post by Boatnerd » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:13 pm

I am guess I am more interested in tread thickness. It will be about a 1.5" rise for every 1" of run. So do I use a 1x6, 2x6, .... and have ~9" rise....

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 pm

I am not able to calculate stair angles, I can only follow the tables in the Stair Builder's Handbook. The numbers you are proving are well outside of these tables. As an example, an 8'4" rise requires a 9' to 14' run for a comfortable stair, you have half that, which means a VERY short tread depth and a VERY tall riser height, virtually a "ladder" for the space given.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 pm

Basically you would have 11 rises of about 9-1/16” and that leaves you with 10 treads. 10 treads at 6-1/2” for the space you have available. For what you are building I would just use open treads (no riser board) and use 2x6s for the treads.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Boatnerd

Post by Boatnerd » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Having watched your deck stairs video, you left the last tread/step as the top of the deck. Given the rise of these steps, would you recommend making the last tread as part of the riser (1 1/2" below the 2nd floor for a 2x6 tread) since the riser would hardly hit the 2x10 that spans where the top of the ladder rest.

Also, you mention a 6 1/2" run using a 2x6 (5.5" wide). Obviously space it towards the front of the riser with a 1" gap at the back? or make the run 6" or less (especially if I add the additional rise on the riser).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:55 am

Build your stringers and stairs and then screw a piece of 1/2" plywood to the back side of the top end of the stringers to form a riser that can be screwed to the joist. This way you can securely attach the stairs to the joist. It will reduce your top step width however.
The other option is to build the stairs with a top step right at the top floor level.This allows you to add a block between the stringers at the top that you can screw to the joist. This will add one more to the total run or you can recalculate to keep the same run. So you would have 11 rises of 9-1/16" and 11 treads of 6 inches.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon