Second floor framing question for cabin loft

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
AlaskaSean

Second floor framing question for cabin loft

Post by AlaskaSean » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Hello,
Here is what I have: I am building a 15x20 cabin that will have a loft above the back half of the first floor. My thought is that I will build a 4 foot short wall to allow better head room (This wall will run around the entire cabin) The entire framing of the cabin will be 2x6 and the roof will be a 12-12 pitch
The questions are:
1) Will the joists on the loft half allow enough strength so that I will not need any over the planned open half of the first floor?
2) Since this loft will be for a bedroom, I was thinking that the joists would be 2x6 lumber 16"o.c. should I go bigger on these joists?

If this seems like I have no idea what I am doing....bingo lol....I have framed and worked on single story places, but never done anything like this and I cannot seem to locate a video for demonstration. That said, I am building it this year anyway ;)

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Shannon

Re: Second floor framing question for cabin loft

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:42 pm

So I'm not sure what direction you planned on running the joists so I don't know the actual span you want to reach is?
If you want to span the 20' way there is no dimensional lumber in my charts that will span that far.
If you want to go the 16' direction only 2x12s ,12" OC with at least one row of blocking between them would work.
If there is infact going to be a wall somewhere below that would support the joists or a wall that a beam could be spanned from the exterior wall to it then it would likely be doable.
I need a little more info and or a quick sketch with some dimensions.

As for the 4'wall I would build the exterior walls all the the height you need and install the loft between those walls. It will be much stronger then building say 8' walls and then adding a loft floor sitting on those walls where you need it then going back and building a pony wall all around. Cut and notch the studs before assembling the walls so that they will accept a rim joist and you will have lots of strength to support the floor as well as keep the walls from wanting to spread with the ceiling joists on.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

AlaskaSean

Post by AlaskaSean » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Shannon,
Thanks for the response! I did not expect you to be the one that commented! LOL...The joists will span the 15 foot section, which is split by a lower floor wall down the middle. I was thinking I might be better off doing the full wall instead of adding the 4 foot pony, thanks for that comment!
I am a bit thrown off by the following:
"Cut and notch the studs before assembling the walls so that they will accept a rim joist and you will have lots of strength to support the floor......" I was planning on traditional framing as in your framing video, with a double top plate.
Thanks again! and if it is OK I will post pictures as I go. I must admit, your framing video was spot on for me!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm on here off and on many times a day. We have other regulars as well who are very knowledgeable.
You can use 2x6 spaced 16" O.C. if you are supporting the middle on a wall.

What I was saying about the notch is:
If you build your walls full height (example 12' tall) then you could suspend the upper floor at 8' off the floor by notching the studs to allow the floor joist rim/header to be recessed into it . These notches will then support the rim/header and the joist would be cut to fit between then and attached with metal joist hangers.
If you do this and you live where you need a vapour barrier then I would also staple a 24" wide strip of VB over the rim/headers after they are installed and marked out for joist locations and then install the joist hangers. When installing the joist cut them 1/4" short so they ft without tearing up the VB.

Does this all make better sense?
Please do post the odd picture as you go that would be great
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

AlaskaSean

Post by AlaskaSean » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Perfect sense! and yes, I understand what you are talking about now. I am meeting with the lumber folks next week to discuss pricing and have changed my plans to 12 foot tall walls to make this happen. Thank you! Pictures will follow as I get this project started!