60 foot gutter run

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
blaubner

60 foot gutter run

Post by blaubner » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Planning to install aluminum gutters along a straight run of about 60 feet. I’m going to pitch the gutters from the middle; one run heading left for 30 feet and one heading right the other 30 feet. Should I start the apex where two 10 foot sections are joined, or can I start the apex in the middle of one 10 foot section? I’ve never handled the material so I’m not aware of how maliable the aluminum is.

Shannon

Re: 60 foot gutter run

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm

You could do either really, but having the apex at the joint will be easiest and should eliminate you having to cut a length to finish each end.
Have you ever considered seamless? I know you have to have someone do it then but it will save you headaches down the road. If you do a perfect job on each joint you may get 2-3 years with out leaks if you are lucky ? If you live in a warmer climate you may get a little longer possibly.
I bet seamless would be close to only maybe 30-40% more then doing it yourself. Around here that is maybe a difference of 200-300 dollars and the final product will be much better
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:04 pm

There really is no need to crown the gutter in the middle, with a downspout on each end the water is naturally going to find it's way out. I would agree, gutters are a pain in the butt, it's not worth the hassles of doing it yourself, ESPECIALLY for a run of that length.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:28 am

A slight slope running each way prevents chance of water sitting in the gutters for mosquitos to hatch or moisture freezing in winter. It does not take much slope to keep water running. I would drop each end 1 "to 3/4" if it was me.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

blaubner

Post by blaubner » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks for the information. I’ll get a quote from a local shop and see how much seamless will be. I live in the south east so little chance of freezing.