Attaching second story deck ledger board when no sill plate is present.

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Chase0150

Attaching second story deck ledger board when no sill plate is present.

Post by Chase0150 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:47 am

Hi, first of all thanks for any and all help, it's much appreciated.
I have a 2009 built home that uses manufactured I-beams for the floor joists, and the "sill plate" is just OSB (not positive of the thickness).
My original plan was to use joist hangers off of ledger board, but my deck building experience has always been with older homes that have a 2x10 or 2x12 as a sill plate.
Is the OSB sufficient to attach hangers? Or am I looking at having to sister the deck joists with the floor joists? And if so, how? Because those are also OSB.
Thanks again
Brandon
IMG_20190414_073702.jpg
IMG_20190414_073702.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 111 times
Attachments
2019_04_08 14_51 Office Lens (2).jpg
The deck is 15L x 12W x 6H
2019_04_08 14_51 Office Lens (2).jpg (451.91 KiB) Viewed 111 times
IMG_20190414_073643.jpg
IMG_20190414_073643.jpg (4.3 MiB) Viewed 111 times

Shannon

Re: Attaching second story deck ledger board when no sill plate is present.

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Great question!
So I have not actually run into this but it sure would be a problem on many newer homes.

My suggestion would be to install solid 2x4 blocks on the end of each joist and one block on each side of each joist. These blocks would fit between the top and bottom cords and sit flat against the web (OSB in Center) of the trusses. The blocks should be attached using construction adhesive and 3” deck screws from both sides. You can the secure the ledger through the outer OSB rim and into these blocks using the appropriate rims joist fasteners.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Firstly let me clarify, that is not a sill plate. The sill plate is the 2x4 (or 2x6) sitting underneath the joists (they're either the top plates of a framed wall, or sitting on top of the foundation wall depending which floor you're looking at.

What that is is a rim board (often called a rim joist), the ones made similarly to OSB are 1 1/4" thick. They're strong vertically but you can't bolt a ledger board to them.

You've got a few options:

1- Have a row of concrete piers with posts and a beam about 2ft away from the house wall and just cantilever your deck joists over the beam so they sit close to the house. This is the easiest option IMHO since you don't have to mess with the house at all, but you will need to brace posts that tall which may get in the way if you have plans for a patio or something underneath the deck.

2- Remove the rimboard and sit your joists on the sill plate beside your interior joists. You don't need to sister them up since that's a bearing wall. Just nail them into the sill plate and into the top and bottom parts of your I-joists. Then afterwards put 2x10 or 2x12 blocking (whatever fits your joists whether they're 9.5" or 12") in between all joists to give you something to attach your siding to, and to give some extra lateral stability.

3- Remove the rimboard, add vertical 2x4 or 2x6 blocks to each side of your interior joists (nailed to the top and bottom of the I-joist and into the sill plate) Install them flush with the end of the I-joists to leave room to put a new rim board in. Use 2x10's or 2x12's as your rim board now, lag screw it into the the vertical blocks beside the interior joists, and nail it into the top & bottom of the joist as well as the sill plate. Then you can use that to attach your deck joists to.

For options 2 & 3 you may need to beef the wall up a bit if the studs are more than 16" on center, or if they're 2x4 walls instead of 2x6. That would involve ripping down the drywall, adding more studs, then redoing the drywall. Personally I'd just go with option #1 to avoid all that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm

I like Dans #1 or #3 options. #2 to me seems like you are asking for trouble if you ever have a failure with the concrete piers under the outer beam. If they sink or raise with poor soil conditions or poor installation,frost those sorts of things you could get some damage inside from the the rising or sinking joists.leveraging on the house floor and joists.

My suggestion my really be inadequate since those TGI type joists are normally 19.25" O.C. ( I think that's what it is?) that is really pretty far apart for ledger board fasteners.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm
My suggestion my really be inadequate since those TGI type joists are normally 19.25" O.C. ( I think that's what it is?) that is really pretty far apart for ledger board fasteners.
Depends on the manufacturer and how the builder wants to spec the floor (ie: is it a cheap ass company who wants to save more money). For the big builder we frame for it's always 16OC, and there's a model with a 24' span in the kitchen where they're 12OC to beef things up for the tiles. Customs are usually the same, but sometimes 19.2OC but with 14" or 16" open web joists (kinda look like flat trusses). I saw one house was built by a 'low cost, affordable' builder (rhymes with Hattamy) and the joists were 24OC lol. That was a pretty 'low quality, affordable garbage' house (lot's of really sloppy work too).

Chase0150

Post by Chase0150 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks for all the help.