Old garage, low slope roof

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
DarrellW

Old garage, low slope roof

Post by DarrellW » Tue May 07, 2019 6:44 pm

The garage is really more of a giant garden shed. Pictured is the ugly side of the low slope roof. At most it is a 1.5 pitch. I’m not even sure what you call this kind of construction. But it’s been standing here 90 years so who am I to judge I guess. Anyways, it’s been leaking for a while and I need to tear it all off. The deck of course is shiplap except where it’s been patched with plywood in the past. 20% of the current shiplap needs replaced at least.

The rafters actually run perpendicular to the pitch or in other words from left to right in the picture. My plan is to tear off the roofing material and skim the surface with 3/8 plywood. If this were a house and not an unheated shed would probably tear off everything and re-sheath. Again given that this is a shed essentially is it really worth ripping off all of the shiplap or can I just go over it as is? And if so does really matter if the sheets go vertically or horizontally given the fact that the rafters go left to right. I understand that if this was a house with shingles just skimming over might result in less than ideal aesthetic’s. But I don’t care much what this looks like since I don’t really see it and I’ll be using ugly roll material anyways although I’ll probably use peel and stick Cap sheet rather than the super cheap 90 pound felt. Thanks for all you do here. Sorry I know I tend to be long winded. Also, horrible gutter and shotty siding patch job will be address along with roof. Also The super rough looking roofing material is actually 15 pound felt I threw up there before winter to try and help some of the leaks why I didn’t just use a tarp I don’t know
79C5297B-29D2-40F8-A71A-9BDF60CFCDCD.jpeg
79C5297B-29D2-40F8-A71A-9BDF60CFCDCD.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 64 times

Shannon

Re: Old garage, low slope roof

Post by Shannon » Tue May 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Your plan is sound, ripe off old roofing and cover ship lap with plywood/OSB. Really will not matter on the direction but traditionally you would place it running length wise left/right.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DarrellW

Post by DarrellW » Thu May 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi Shannon, well we ripped all the roofing off and overplayed 7/16 OSB. I went with Mulehide brand SA base and cap. I really wanted nail base and cap but they only had SA(self adhered/ peel stick) base. We only got the base layer done which Mulehide says can be exposed for 90 days. This was last Saturday. It’s Thursday now and to my major disappoint I went and looked at the roof today (sunny day) I had several areas where the base is bubbling up. I rolled it back down but I’m not very hopeful for it. It looked great of course right after we payed it down. We did use a linoleum roller.

I think I made a major mistake not priming the roof. Ripping all back off is not happening. Should I go head and get cap nails for the problem areas or maybe slice those areas and glue down with mod bit adhesive or say heck with it (given the building) and install the cap sheet in good whether and hope for the best. Asking this not knowing if you are familiar with mod bit rolled roofing products at all of course.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 16, 2019 9:01 pm

I am not super familiar with these products but i think I would not cut the base material. Not priming was for sure the main issue i would think BTW.
Anyways just install the cap sheet over what you have IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon