DIY Gravel Driveway

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
jamesgeiger

DIY Gravel Driveway

Post by jamesgeiger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi all, I plan to lay a gravel driveway by myself - 10 ft. x 40 ft. That said, I outlined my steps below but added some questions in red. I am trying to keep costs down :)

My steps are outlined below:

1. Level/grade the driveway so it is even and use a hand tamper to compact it
2. Lay down landscaping fabric (weed barrier) with landscaping staples so it doesn't bunch up
3. I read you should use a larger stone size for the base - is this necessary?
4. Depending on the answer to the above, I was planning on just using 3/4" crushed stone for the entire driveway (4 inches deep worth of it)
5. Spread the gravel so it creates peak in the middle for drainage and use hand tamper to compact
6. Use landscaping timber for the barrier on the edge. I'll drill it and hammer down stakes so it doesn't move

P.S. I got a utility reading and all of the electric and gas lines are on the other side of the house so I should be fine, right?

Shannon

Re: DIY Gravel Driveway

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:20 am

All of your procedure sounds fine. Larger rock is good if you need it but in most cases a good base of 3/4" gravel is course enough.
I will assume the grass /sod will be removed first as well?
Install the timbers before you spread the gravel.
As long as all utilities have been located you should be fine, water and sewer lines should be down a long ways but understand where their located as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jamesgeiger

Post by jamesgeiger » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 am

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your reply. Yes i plan to remove the grass first before even adding the timbers. Would these timbers be fine (linked below)?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-ft-Landsc ... /301802514

Based on my budget it seems like I can only afford about 2 inches in depth of the 3/4 inch crushed stone...will that be a problem?

Those are my final questions! :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 pm

Those timbers will work. I would start with the 2" and allow room for adding more when the budget allows. 2" is not much but will work for now.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jamesgeiger

Post by jamesgeiger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:56 am

Thank you!