Garage Door Clearances

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
HamiltonHome

Garage Door Clearances

Post by HamiltonHome » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:47 am

Anyone know the minimum clearance for hardware beyond the rough open for a garage door? (Both top and sides.) I'd like as large of a garage door as possible but there isn't much clearance on the inside.

Also, thoughts on the old style one-piece garage doors? It would solve my clearance problem and I think they look nice. The garage is detached and unheated so I'm not too concerned about thermal properties but it seems nearly impossible to use that style door with well sealed weatherstripping and gaps when closed would be a problem.

Shannon

Re: Garage Door Clearances

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:12 am

You will need a minimum of 4" on each side of door and usually a minimum of 12" above the door .
For the height most manufactures offer a Low clearance hardware package for low ceilings but I am not sure what the min. would be required for that. Check with you local supplier for sure.
I have never installed a one piece door and not sure if they are even made anymore.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 am

Yep, most door manufacturers have a low clearance kit, which is a second top track that the top panel rides in, which allows it to kick back faster and provide the extra clearance you need with a low height ceiling. I have one in my garage with a ceiling height at about 7'.

I would not recommend a tilt up door, they're extremely heavy, even with good counterbalance springs, and they're harder on door openers because of their weight. I would stick with a roll-up door.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:58 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 am
Yep, most door manufacturers have a low clearance kit, which is a second top track that the top panel rides in, which allows it to kick back faster and provide the extra clearance you need with a low height ceiling. I have one in my garage with a ceiling height at about 7'.

I would not recommend a tilt up door, they're extremely heavy, even with good counterbalance springs, and they're harder on door openers because of their weight. I would stick with a roll-up door.
So you have a 7' ceiling and how high is your door?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:01 pm

The door is 6'6" tall, the ceiling is 7'2", and there is 5-1/2" between the top track and ceiling.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:29 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:01 pm
The door is 6'6" tall, the ceiling is 7'2", and there is 5-1/2" between the top track and ceiling.
Thanks , was not sure how much room you had left.