4 way circuit

Ask your electrical related questions here
Kaispops

4 way circuit

Post by Kaispops » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:23 pm

I have a four way switch circuit that the painters took down the ceiling fan because we were putting up a new fixture. They left me with 2 white wires connected, 2 black wires connected and a single black wire. I have tried different combos with no results except to have the light on with no switches working. Any help would be appreciated. Also can a 3-way dimmer be used in this circuit?

emtnut

Re: 4 way circuit

Post by emtnut » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:51 am

Kaispops wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:23 pm
I have a four way switch circuit that the painters took down the ceiling fan because we were putting up a new fixture. They left me with 2 white wires connected, 2 black wires connected and a single black wire. I have tried different combos with no results except to have the light on with no switches working. Any help would be appreciated. Also can a 3-way dimmer be used in this circuit?
A picture may be helpful here. It sounds like the single black wire is the supply cable (from panel).

Do you know if the 2 whites and 2 blacks were twisted together before (with the old light )

A 3 way dimmer can dim from one location (but not the center location, which is a 4 way switch)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~