roof valley

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
rwm

roof valley

Post by rwm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:59 am

how to roof a valley video?

Shannon

Re: roof valley

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:16 am

I do not have a video for that right now.
Are you doing one soon and will it be an "open" or "closed" valley?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

rwm

Post by rwm » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:39 am

Closed Valley. I live in missouri where roofs seem to be mostly a closed valley like my current roof is. Unfortunately I would usually have to study a project over and over again before i can even understand it! but not with your videos! they seem to be the only ones iv seen on roofing that i'm able to understand because you take the time to explain and show slowly and clearly enough for me, so after watching all you videos on roofing I feel a positive I can roof my home, if it did not have valleys? I have a 4 bedroom atrium ranch with a three car garage/with valleys i ' m planning on this diy job alone in march or april next year.
My hope is you will have something on valleys before my roof project? no matter what i will tell my friends and family about your site and how it helped me! and to subscribe! thanks RWM

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:29 am

Thanks for the compliments.I appreciate that you find our videos to be super helpful.
Here is some info on closed valley installs and you will find this kind of info on most major shingle manufactures sites. If you scroll down to section 3.5 and look for "closed valley there is a description of the work and figure #13 shows the basic idea.https://bpcan.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... mplete.pdf
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Brandonjr22

Post by Brandonjr22 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:49 pm

What is cutting the points under the shingles in a california cjt valley install?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:22 am

So what you are doing is cutting off the top corner of the shingle where it stops at the valley. I would say about 1-1/2” measured down the side and cut back at about a 45 degree angle. This helps prevent water coming down the valley from catching those corners and traveling sideways under the shingles.

Brandonjr22

Post by Brandonjr22 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:18 am

So cut it from high side then go back under and cut the corners off of all of then how about the other side

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 pm

You only need to cut the top Corner that is next to the valley.
You only cut the corn or on the side of the valley that is cut not on the side that runs past the valley.
Does this make sense?

Brandonjr22

Post by Brandonjr22 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 pm

So you dont need to mess with the part that goes under the high side just cut the points off the side that i make the original cut from

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Yes