HARDWOOD FLOOR INSTALLATION

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
COGNOID

HARDWOOD FLOOR INSTALLATION

Post by COGNOID » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi Shannon,
I just watched your video on installing a hardwood floor, my question is this;
When you are hitting the nail gun are you driving the nail into the joist or just into the plywood underlayment?
Best Regards

KevP

Re: HARDWOOD FLOOR INSTALLATION

Post by KevP » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:33 pm

The subfloor is usually around 3/4 inch. Flooring is not structural and does not need to be secured to the joist. You want your subfloor and flooring to be able to move with seasons. I think securing it into joists can make it buckle it easier. Just imagine tiling. Backerboards are screwed into the subfloor which is usually 3/4 of inch. Same concept here. Dont use too long of nails. You never know whats underneath. Some genius might have ran wires or pipe under the subfloor and too close too it. Your floor won't go anywhere with 3/4 inch penetration

COGNOID

Post by COGNOID » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the information.
I have taken out the carpet and padding and am going to begin the hardwood installation next week.
One thing I notice was some squeak sounds when I walk on parts of the subfloor, the builder only used nails and I think that is what is causing the noise, should I pull the nails or just put a screw next to the nail to keep the nail from moving?

KevP

Post by KevP » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:13 pm

No need to pull. Just screw the subfloor into the joists ever 8 or 12 inches. If any nail pops up, just hammer it down. Nails have great holding power but due to movement and people walking on floors, the board can push the nail head up, hence the squeaking noise. Screws bite into the materials and you wont run into this issue. My house is from the 1950s and most of my floors are doing that now.
Btw not sure if you realized it or not, but im not Shannon. Just another DIYer.

COGNOID

Post by COGNOID » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi,
Yes, I know it is not Shannon, but you supply great information and I appreciate it.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:11 pm

COGNOID wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Hi,
Thanks for the information.
I have taken out the carpet and padding and am going to begin the hardwood installation next week.
One thing I notice was some squeak sounds when I walk on parts of the subfloor, the builder only used nails and I think that is what is causing the noise, should I pull the nails or just put a screw next to the nail to keep the nail from moving?
If you're nailing down finished flooring, it only gets nailed to the subfloor. Not sure what nailer Shannon is using in his video, but the types I'm aware of for flooring do two things, drive the new piece of flooring tighter into the previous piece and drives a nail to secure it. Nails go through the tongue at an angle back into the board.

For a squeaky subfloor, pull ALL the nails and replace them with screws. Use a screw with a shank under the head so that it will spin freely in the subfloor and be drawn down tightly to the joists. If you don't pull the nails, you will never be rid of the squeaks. Tightening the nails will stop it for a short time, but the expansion and contraction of the materials will eventually start popping the nails loose again, which is why they're squeaking now. Doing nothing with the nails will result in not being able to quell the squeaks at all.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:36 am

Yes I agree with Spruce pull the nails and screw every 8" into the joists. Some of those nails will squeak again over time.
2" nails or staples is all I have seen for use in my floor stapler so not sure you have options for that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

COGNOID

Post by COGNOID » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks for the information, I'll start pulling the nails out and replacing them with screws.
Best Regards

COGNOID

Post by COGNOID » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:45 am

Hi Shannon,
I did as you said and removed all the nails and replaced with screws, not a fun job!
Before I begin the installation of the hardwood am I suppose to put down a layer of paper between the subfloor and the new hardwood?
Best Regards

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Follow the flooring manufacturer's recommendation. Typically, there is a moisture barrier placed under the flooring.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Yup I agree with Spruce
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon