Roof replacement criteria

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
nkanderson

Roof replacement criteria

Post by nkanderson » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:41 am

My roof seems to be about at the end of its service life, but with no major issues yet (fingers crossed). We're thinking of starting some major renovations within the next year or so that would involve ripping out parts of the roof. I don't really want to put a lot of money into a new 20-year roof if it's going to get ripped off in 1-2 years. Any thoughts on the dangers of holding out? Or if there's a good cheaper interim step besides putting in a new 20-year roof?

I've read a bit about rolled roofing as a cheaper, short-term option, but it doesn't seem to be advised for occupied structures. Any thoughts on that?

Shannon

Re: Roof replacement criteria

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Why do you say the roof is at the end of its service life? If the roof is still effective I would leave it alone until the reno is done.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

nkanderson

Post by nkanderson » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Yeah, I guess I'm not sure how to assess. It's still effective in that there are no leaks (currently), but I'm a bit concerned about making it through another full winter.

When we bought the house 3 years ago, I think the roofer we had take a look at it say we had another 3-5 years or so. I've noticed a decent amount of granules coming off when I get up there to clean the leaves off or pull leaves out of the gutters, but nothing I'd call a "bald spot" yet.

I mostly don't want to end up with a big leak this winter, so if there are any other warning signs I can check out, that might help. Sounds like maybe it's ok to just leave it for now though and hope for the best.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:22 pm

In my experience, roofs don't just fail, they're giving you visual signs long before there is an actual problem. You mentioned "granules", so that would indicate that you've got a composition roof. Granules slough off over time, faster if you're up on the roof a lot, and it is the granules that protect the composite/tar substrate from degrading in the hot sun. Granule loss alone isn't enough to warrant replacement, however, excessive loss of granules, to the point of black/bald areas or the loss of tabs or portions of shingles absolutely IS.

If you're not seeing loss of tabs or bald (no granules) areas, you're probably good for a little while. Also, the person inspecting the roof could have been biased if they thought they'd get the work OR during a home inspection, they'll err to the side of caution. Without seeing the roof for ourselves, we really can't give an opinion of its condition.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am

I agree here even you would know your roof was needing replacement just by looking at its condition if there were no leaks apparent yet. If you wanted to post a picture of the side that faces the sun the most we can have a look.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

nkanderson

Post by nkanderson » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:42 pm

Awesome, thanks A. Spruce & Shannon, that is all helpful info. If I get up there anytime soon, I'll grab a pic, otherwise I think I feel pretty good about holding off another year or so.