Building a shed

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
dan5323

Building a shed

Post by dan5323 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Shannon - I watched all the videos on building a 6 x 8 shed and would like to try it myself. In the first video when you were installing the treated plywood floor, why was there a one inch lip to cut off on one side? I was thinking you were framing 6 x 8 and that side - it seems to me - should have come out to be 8 feet exactly but didn't. I missed something there and it's bugging me. The time stamp in the video is 19:15. Anyway - not being picky or critical of your work at all just the OCD part of me needs to know before I start this project. I watch your videos quite a bit and admire your skills!! Thank you for the knowledge you pass on to me and others and God bless you.

A. Spruce

Re: Building a shed

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm a plywood siding guy, so this is exactly why I'd under-size the floor slightly (see below). Shannon is a vinyl siding kind of guy, I am not sure if he sheaths his sheds before the siding or not, so his methods may be a bit different than mine.

What I can tell you from my extensive shed building and general construction experience is that the siding has to extend down past the wall framing to the bottom of the floor framing. That means that the floor is actually just a fraction smaller than the finished dimension of the structure.

a 6x8 shed requires a sheet and a half (4' + 2') of sheathing on the end and two full sheets for the side. If you framed the floor at this dimension, 6x8, then the sheathing would need to be about an inch wider, so one full sheet at 4' and just over half a sheet at 25", which means you'd be throwing away just under half a sheet because it wasn't wide enough to do the job.

By undersizing the floor by just a pinch, you are accounting for the thickness of the sheathing or plywood siding itself, thereby allowing for zero waste. What would you rather do, throw away 1" of your floor plywood or two pieces of sheathing that are 23"x96". It would actually affect your length as well, I just chose to not mention it in an attempt for clarity.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Building a shed

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:07 am

Yes Spruce hit the nail on the head.
By reducing the floor size by an inch it allows the actual outer dimension of the shed to be 6' x 8' exactly. Now if you are using vinyl siding or lap siding on the shed afterwards anyways you could build the floor 6'x 8' and just leave the plywood short of the outside corners a bit and the siding will later cover that up, but if the plywood itself is the siding or you are using siding that comes as 4x8 sheets you want the corners nice fitting as they are seen when finished.
Hope this clears things up.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon