J-channel vinyl siding around exhaust vent?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
MattC

J-channel vinyl siding around exhaust vent?

Post by MattC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 am

Hello,

My microwave currently is on the interior wall, I am running a 3-1/4 ducting above cabinet to exit out to the side of my house for venting. I have purchased a 3-1/4 rectangular exhaust vent from amazon (see below pic)

My understanding is that I have to pull few sidings off around the vent, secure with screws, tape the vent edges, and then install J channels around 4 sides of the exhaust vent and trim the vinyl siding to fit? I have attached 2 pictures of what someone did with the tape and how the J-channels would look when finished but I have no idea how to build that J-channel trims as seen in the attached pic around the vent. Do I follow your video instruction on this J-channel build? https://youtu.be/gmiN3BnOu3w

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Vent Purchased.jpg
Vent Purchased.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Vent Channel.jpg
Vent Channel.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Vent Tape.jpg
Vent Tape.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 266 times

Shannon

Re: J-channel vinyl siding around exhaust vent?

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Yes you can install the j just like in the video
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

MattC

Post by MattC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 pm

Shannon wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 pm
Yes you can install the j just like in the video
I found the below mounting block that I can cut out a hole to fit the back end of the exhaust vent thru it. If I do it this way do I have to install J channels around the mounting block? It might be a dumb question, I have seen many videos how to install the mounting block but never understand how the water can't get in from above or sides of the mounting block into the back of the vinyl siding.

Thanks
Attachments
Mounting Block.jpg
Mounting Block.jpg (23.37 KiB) Viewed 247 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:42 pm

That can be used ,it has a built in J channel.
Water can get around any vinyl siding in J channel or mounting block. Flash your block with house wrap and tape to keep water from getting behind it and to the wood or opening in the wood.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

MattC

Post by MattC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Shannon wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:42 pm
That can be used ,it has a built in J channel.
Water can get around any vinyl siding in J channel or mounting block. Flash your block with house wrap and tape to keep water from getting behind it and to the wood or opening in the wood.
My house was built with blackboard sheathing materials behind vinyl siding. There is no house wrap so i assume that blackboard is the waterproof/sheathing? As you mentioned, do I still use house wrap and tape to flash the mounting block? I don’t know if Tyvek tape would stick to the blackboard material or should I use sticky flashing tape along with the house wrap? Sorry for all the questions

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:36 am

Just use the sticky flashing tape to seal the top and sides to prevent water from getting in.