Need help with roof/sideboard

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Valetic

Need help with roof/sideboard

Post by Valetic » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Hey! I’m new here. But I have a question about the sideboard connected to my roof. It’s sagging and pretty much falling off, and squirrels started getting in my attic from there. I want to try to do it myself and have no idea what I would do to start. I’m guessing I’ll need a skill saw to cut the new boards if I wanted to replace them, which is the one tool I do not own yet. If that is necessary let me know as well. It’s pretty much like this on every corner of the house. But here is a pic. Any tips?
Attachments
F65C24CC-4691-4576-A473-64CD470D97D6.jpeg
F65C24CC-4691-4576-A473-64CD470D97D6.jpeg (245.18 KiB) Viewed 216 times

A. Spruce

Re: Need help with roof/sideboard

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Hopefully, you'll get lucky and not have any rot. My suspicion is that with the trim failing like this is that you're going to find rot in your rafter tails.

Assuming it's just trim failure, it may be possible to simply reattach the trim, if it's in good condition. If you have to replace the trim, then yes, you'll need a circular saw to make the cuts, it would also be a good idea to have a speed square. The speed square will help find angle across the board. For the end bevel angle, simply lightly loosen the sole plate on the saw and match the blade angle by holding the saw to the end of the board.

If you've got rafter tail issues, then we'll need to continue the discussion
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Valetic

Post by Valetic » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Hopefully, you'll get lucky and not have any rot. My suspicion is that with the trim failing like this is that you're going to find rot in your rafter tails.

Assuming it's just trim failure, it may be possible to simply reattach the trim, if it's in good condition. If you have to replace the trim, then yes, you'll need a circular saw to make the cuts, it would also be a good idea to have a speed square. The speed square will help find angle across the board. For the end bevel angle, simply lightly loosen the sole plate on the saw and match the blade angle by holding the saw to the end of the board.

If you've got rafter tail issues, then we'll need to continue the discussion
Oh that’s all out of my comfort zone lol. I don’t know much about construction. I’ve done doors and pipework and flooring and walls but actually cutting and getting the right measurements and angles on something like this scares me a little 😅

How would I find out if there is rot? Do I need to get up there and rip off the sagging boards and look deeper in there?

I don’t mind trying to do this myself if I can save money doing it myself on all sides of the house but, I also don’t want to waste money messing up lol. Idk this task kind of makes me nervous though 😬

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:35 pm

You won't know if there's rot until you get up there and take a look. If the wood is punky, you can easily push a screwdriver into it, then there's rot that needs to be addressed. If the wood is firm and solid, then you may be able to reattach the trim.

Part of the reason for failure is the manner in which the trim was installed. Those corners are only nailed on the ends, it would be better if the trim spanned several rafter tips instead of just the two they're currently attached to. Multiple points of anchorage prevents sagging and failure such as what we're seeing. Whether you want to do the work or let someone else do it, I would recommend this alteration.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 pm

If you can get the old ones off and they are at least good enough to trace out you may not have to figure much out as far as angles go.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon