Overhead garage door opens and closes randomly on its own in the night.

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Shannon

Overhead garage door opens and closes randomly on its own in the night.

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:35 am

So guys here is one for you . My dad calls me this morning and asks what would cause one of the 3 overhead doors on his shop/garage to randomly open and close in the middle of the night. 2am they noticed it open. While standing at the window trying to decide if someone is out there it closes and opens. They have a remote in house and activate it to close, the door closes and almost immediately opens again. They press closed again and it does, they then press open to cycle it again and again to close it. This time it stays closed (as far as they know all night). Now here is the thing ,they are on a farm with the closest neighbours yard about 1/4 mile (400M) away so interference from other remotes or signals should not be an issue and have not been before.
Any suggestions on a cause? No remotes or buttons are in any position that they could be inadvertently contacted by anything (animal/rodent) The only other thing in that yard that sends a signal all the time is the weather station thingy on the roof of another building to the base in the house. There are 3 openers on that building with three main buttons and three remote key pads. Im leaning towards maybe a bad switch on the wall? They are watching it to see if it happens again for now and I suggested they erase all codes and reset in a day or so even if it does not do this again.
Craftsman opener about 6 yrs old. I think its actually the one I did a video on for the install?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Re: Overhead garage door opens and closes randomly on its own in the night.

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:38 am

So it is actually the next opener over from the one i did in the How to install video. And it was 5 yrs ago.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:08 pm

How long has the has the weather station been in place and has there been any modifications made to it recently? It's possible that the frequency is crossing with the door opener when it sends it's data. If this is the case, my guess is that general radio frequency noise is much less at 2 or 3am than at any other time of day, hence the time specific anomaly.

Resetting the remote/opener codes might help. If the problem persists, a call to Craftsman openers would be in order.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Ya that weather station has been there for years so not sure its the culprit and as far as we know this is an isolated event although dad says he has closed that door a couple times in past years thinking he had done it previously.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 pm

I know when the door gets closed and bounces back up, it can be the travel adjustment is wonky, you can adjust that with the potentiometers on the motor unit itself with a small flat-blade screwdriver.

But if it's opening in the middle of the night, there must be some radio interference that it's getting. The weird thing, though, is that I believe the remote openers send a coded (digital) frequency, so that makes it close to impossible for anyone to "hack" opening the door.

Definitely clear the opener of the codes just in case, and relearn the remotes. Make sure all the remotes get fresh batteries, too, in case they're doing strange things. Don't forget the keypad remotes on the frame outside the garage, relearn those and make sure they too have fresh batteries. Also maybe unplug the motors for 30 seconds or so to reset them in case they are buggy or whatever.

May want to turn off the weather station for a spell to see if the problem goes away, though I might try doing that AFTER the remotes are relearned. When troubleshooting, it's best to try one solution at a time--otherwise you will never know what the fix was.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Yes I agree ,these are newer openers so they have rolling codes as well to avoid almost all interference.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:30 pm

Yeah so it's better unlikely the weather station is messing with it. I'd just try resetting everything. New batteries, etc.