Chicken coop!!

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
arichards99

Chicken coop!!

Post by arichards99 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:36 pm

I’m in TX and I started building a chicken coop...AFTER I bought chickens. Poor choice on my part. Anyway, it’s 10’W x 16’L. I basically copied your “How to Build a Shed” videos and have been making necessary modifications as I go. Yes, my coop has a treated floor that I plan on covering with epoxy or just cheap linoleum that I can replace as needed.
I’m almost done framing in the windows and my nesting boxes (which I think I know how to do, but I’m sure I’ll find a way to screw it up) and my next step is the roof. I’d like to have a 4’ porch on the front so I’m wondering how I need to modify the roof for this, specifically the ridge board. Do I just extend my ridge board out past the front fascia and that 2x4 cradle by 4’ or do I do it differently? I’ve literally never built anything like this before so I’d appreciate any input and advice! I can take pics and attach if you’d like. Thanks in advance!

- Mandy

Shannon

Re: Chicken coop!!

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:32 pm

I would go to a 2x8 ridge board and that should be fine extending out 4' without any support on the outer end. The double top plate of the walls I would extend as well for the rafters to sit on and then a post under each one. With that size of roof I would also add collar ties to the rafters These will help support the longer span of the top cord of the rafters and tie things together better. These can be 5' long 2x4s and you would attach them to the upper cords of the rafters, just push them up as high as you can .
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 4.31.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 4.31.44 PM.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 66 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

arichards99

Re: Chicken coop!!

Post by arichards99 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Thank you so much!!! I’ll attach pics of the final product when I’m done. Hopefully it won’t take too much longer!