Dry Wall taping.

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
ray1961

Dry Wall taping.

Post by ray1961 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 am

Hi thanks so much for being here.
Im redoing my basement.
When i was mudding some seams in the drywall the other day I realized I forgot to use paper on the seams. I have sanded them down real well and im wondering if i should put tape on now ? Or just leave them and hope for the best ? They look pretty good right now.
Thanks very much
Ray

Shannon

Re: Dry Wall taping.

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 am

Those will crack for sure, maybe not right away but they will crack. They need tape. Unfortunately now that you have filled the beveled seams you will need to apply the tape and apply coats of mud so that you feather out the fact that there is a slight bump there now to make it less noticeable. If its just a couple of sheets I would likely remove them and start over .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:59 am

Yes, the joints need to be taped or they will crack. I don't think you need to replace the sheets, you essentially have "butt joints" instead of bevel joints to work with. As Shannon said, it will require a little wider floating to get them to disappear, but no more than a typical butt joint would, which is why I'd just go for it and not replace the sheets.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

ray1961

Post by ray1961 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:03 am

Thank you both soooooo much
To many sheets to replace Shannon.
I will apply the tape and continue on
Thanks again
Ray