Underlayment subfloor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Sprague22

Underlayment subfloor

Post by Sprague22 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:39 pm

So i have an older home built in 1971. I am remodeling and i ripped up all my old hardwood floors and found my subfloor to be 1/2 in plywood. I screwed the subfloor down where the existing nails were to fix the squeaking.

I plan to install LVP pergo outlast floor so i need to strengthen the subfloor as it is not going be 3/4 thick like traditional hardwood. I play to lay underlayment plywood ontop of the subfloor and screw it down. My question is should i install the plywood in the same direction as the existing subfloor or in the oposite direction. Also is screwing the plywood to the subfloor fine or should i glue and screw. Thank you

Shannon

Re: Underlayment subfloor

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:58 pm

I would keep the new layer running the same direction but stagger the joints and seams so they are not in the same place as the original. I would off set them at least 16".
Screwing the new layer is completely fine on its own, glueing it down will create a huge job for the next guy years down the road.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Sprague22

Re: Underlayment subfloor

Post by Sprague22 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Thank you i appreciate your help.