insulating around/over air handler in attic

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Navin

insulating around/over air handler in attic

Post by Navin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:02 am

I have an air handler for my central A/C in my attic. It takes up a lot of space and it is over one of kid's bedroom. The bedroom tends to be cooler than other rooms on that floor in winter. I have insulation in the attic except for the air handler area. I was wondering If I can say put batt or rockwool over and around air handler in the attic so hot air from below is somewhat trapped and the room stays a bit warmer. The concern I have is should you have batt/rockwool over and around air handler unit? Any fire/electrical or any other concerns I should be worried about?

Shannon

Re: insulating around/over air handler in attic

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:05 pm

This type of heating arrangement is never seen here so I cont say for certain. Can you find some specs for your handler on line?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Navin

Post by Navin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 am

This is the air handler for central A/C. We have hot water heating so no connection to this air handler.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Sorry I still am not familiar with any units installed in attics.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm

My guess is because the air handler is over the room, in the attic, the room gets cooler just because it probably gets higher air pressure. The air registers in the room should be closed off more.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:57 am

Navin wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:02 am
I have an air handler for my central A/C in my attic. It takes up a lot of space and it is over one of kid's bedroom. The bedroom tends to be cooler than other rooms on that floor in winter. I have insulation in the attic except for the air handler area. I was wondering If I can say put batt or rockwool over and around air handler in the attic so hot air from below is somewhat trapped and the room stays a bit warmer. The concern I have is should you have batt/rockwool over and around air handler unit? Any fire/electrical or any other concerns I should be worried about?
I really don't think you can cover 'over' the unit. If you can get batts underneath it that should help the room below. Blowers in furnaces have clearances, but because of heat, I don't see an issue with just an enclosed air blower (underneath, not covering)

Ultimately, it is the manufacturer that will stipulate any clearances from their unit. Check your installation manual. If there is nothing there and/or you don't have it, call the mfr's 1-800 number and ask.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~