Proper way to replace a Garage door with French Doors

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
MarkBP

Proper way to replace a Garage door with French Doors

Post by MarkBP » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:27 am

Hello, I am a new homeowner and I am converting my single detached garage into a little gym facility. One item that I am trying to find more details on is taking out my roll-up garage door and replacing it with French Doors. When it comes to framing, is there anything special I would need to concider?

A. Spruce

Re: Proper way to replace a Garage door with French Doors

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am

Can you post a pic of the existing door, jambs and threshold?

This sounds like a pretty straight forward project, simply remove the existing door, frame as necessary for the new door, install new door.

Something to keep in mind is that garage floors typically slope towards the roll-up, this is to provide drainage out of the building. Slopes are typically about 1/4" per foot, so over a 20' length you could have as much as 5" drop from the front wall to the door. If this slope will create issues with your gym equipment, then you will need to build a level floor over the garage slab, which will affect how the entry door is installed or at least how the floor is installed around the door.

Post some pix and we can continue the conversation of the best course of action.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

MarkBP

Post by MarkBP » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Thank you for the response! Attached is a few different views of the current garage door. I took a level to the garage floor and there wasn't any slope.
Attachments
Full view of current door framing
Full view of current door framing
IMG_8245.jpeg (152.29 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Threshold
Threshold
IMG_8244.jpeg (200.01 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Outside view closed door
Outside view closed door
IMG_8238 2.jpeg (138.49 KiB) Viewed 161 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:04 pm

I would then simply frame the opening down to what the new door requires. Pressure treated sill on the slab. I would frame the side studs tight to the existing opening and leave a 1/4" gap at the top, this will allow you to frame the wall on the ground then stand it in place. With the wall in place and secured, both to the sides and either tapcon or expansion anchors in the sill, the sill plate area of the doorway can be cut out.

What is the difference in width between the existing door and the door you intend to install? This is important as to how to finish out the wall around the door and tie it cohesively into the structure.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.