Garage remodel | Ceiling Truss strength question

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
MarkBP

Garage remodel | Ceiling Truss strength question

Post by MarkBP » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:20 am

Hello, I am doing a garage remodel and turning it into a gym. My garage is a single car detached garage with trusses that are 2x4's. would they be strong enough to hold a pull-up bar (not in the middle, most likely a couple of ft from the wall)? The span of the trusses are 11.5ft from wall to wall.

If they wouldn't be strong enough to bolt a pull-up bar to them, what would be the course of action to strengthen them?
Attachments
IMG_8247.jpeg
IMG_8247.jpeg (180.87 KiB) Viewed 312 times
IMG_8248.jpeg
IMG_8248.jpeg (133.09 KiB) Viewed 312 times
IMG_8249.jpeg
IMG_8249.jpeg (174.47 KiB) Viewed 312 times

A. Spruce

Re: Garage remodel | Ceiling Truss strength question

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Hey Mark,

You don't have to start a new thread for every question. Keep all your garage remodel/gym related questions in one place, that will make it much easier for you and us to track the answers and progress of your project. When you have a new project, then go ahead and fire up a new thread.

As to the strength of the trusses and a chin-up bar, you have no worries with what you have, you can easily attach to the bottom cord of the truss to attach your bar OR install blocking between the trusses to attach your bar to if the spacing isn't correct. The trusses have more than enough strength in them to support a human.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

MarkBP

Post by MarkBP » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:26 pm

I am almost to the point of putting up drywall in my garage. my question is would I need any sort of attic space access in my detached garage. There isn't any space to get around the trusses.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:13 pm

If you can't get up there to store anything and don't need access to electrical or ventilation items, then, no, there is no need for an access point.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:08 pm

How will you insulate it after?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

MarkBP

Post by MarkBP » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am currently insulating the walls and attic space using batts.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:31 am

SO you are installing all of the ceiling insulation before you drywall?Im not sure where you live but in most cases you will want the R value of the attic to be R30 -R50 in a heated garage. This will be difficult to achieve before the drywall and air/vapour barrier is installed. I would suggest leaving an access so that more insulation can later be blown in or added using more batts.
On a side note I see you have Cans installed for lighting, be sure they are IC rated . Without an IC rating insulation can not be in contact against them.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

MarkBP

Post by MarkBP » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks for all the information! I am in California and the insulation in the ceiling is R36. The cans are IC rated (made sure about that one).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:51 pm

ok, well looks like you are on your way then with the reno!