Installing wood planking on stairway

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
spiritpots

Installing wood planking on stairway

Post by spiritpots » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:04 pm

I saw the great video posted about installing wood planks on a stairway. Before I can begin laying the flooring I need to cut the front edge of the nosing off of the existing stair treads. This step was mentioned in the video, however I'm not sure what type of saw is best to use to so this. The walls on both sides of the stairway are finished so I don't want to damage them. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8qj3js1rUw)

Shannon

Re: Installing wood planking on stairway

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Yes simply mark a cut line on the top of the tread/nosing and plug a circular saw blade down into the spot and cut as far as you can each way. You can then use either a reciprocating saw or isolating saw to finish the cuts to the end. If it is a nailed on nosing and you are removing only part of it beware there will be nails in there you will cut through so take all the proper safety precautions. Be safe either way actually ;)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

spiritpots

Post by spiritpots » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 am

Thank you so much, Shannon. And yes, I always take all safety precautions when working!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Good to hear! I have to admit I am not aways as safety minded as I should be .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon