Ontario basement insulation

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
corylrsn

Ontario basement insulation

Post by corylrsn » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for all the time you put into helping people on here/ online.

My understanding of the Ontario building code is that basement foundation walls require R20 as of 2012 I think that is the current standard.

What is your recommendation on how to best achieve this? Anything I’m seeing in stores for a batt only solution requires a 2x6 wall and I would rather stay with 2x4. I was hoping you could lend me your opinion.

Shannon

Re: Ontario basement insulation

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Well your options are 2-3" of closed cell spray foam if you want to remain with 2x4 walls spaced no more than 1/2" off the concrete or so.
If you can get further from the wall then you have more options for sure.
You could first place either rigid foam or Roxul comfort boards against the concrete ,then frame a 2x4 or 2x6 wall that is then insulated and finally install an air/ vapour barrier before drywalling. The R value you obtain will depend on the combination of insulations you use.
All of these combinations would need to be first confirmed by your local building code office as being compliant to their specs.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

corylrsn

Re: Ontario basement insulation

Post by corylrsn » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:33 pm

Thanks for the info! More or less what I was thinking after doing a search through the forum.

Long time watcher of you YouTube videos, so thanks for the help!