Fence rail snapped

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
bdp31770

Fence rail snapped

Post by bdp31770 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:01 pm

A tree fell on the top horizontal rail in this picture. It cracked it, though I've straightened it back out somewhat with a wire. I'd like to replace it, but wasn't sure where to buy one, I"m assuming I would buy one and the seller would trim it down to size. I've looked it up online, I think places like Home Depot and Lowes sell these though not sure. Any advice is appreciated.
rail.jpg
rail.jpg (100.07 KiB) Viewed 62 times

Shannon

Re: Fence rail snapped

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:54 pm

I can't tell from the picture what that rail actually is? Is it dimensional lumber? round wood rail? Cant tell at all from what you posted?

Either way you will have trouble changing it out it looks like.The existing system looks like the ends where cut down and made to insert into each post which likely means that the fence was built section by section as they went so they could slide all pieces together? It will be very unlikely you can spread those posts apart enough to get the new piece in? I could be wrong? Getting the old one out is no problem cause you can cut it but if you cant spread those posts at least 2" I would say getting a new piece in to look the same would be a no go.
You may however be able to cut one to fit between and use screws or nails to attach it and it would look similar in design from a distance.

The other issue I see is that the wood is very weathered and if you install a new piece it will forever look out of place. Could you get the old piece pulled up well enough and use construction adhesive to hold it together again? It would not be perfect on a arms length inspection but from a few feet back would look pretty good still and because you used the same old piece it is still well weathered so it blends in well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 pm

It looks like a split rail to me, and those should be available at a big box, if not, most certainly they'd be available from a fencing supplier.

Replacement won't be easy, but won't be terrible either. You will have to dig the back of one post out so as to be able to lean it over and insert "tab A" into "slot B", with the new rail in place, plumb the post and tamp the dirt back in around it.

Yes, new material will look different and will take quite a while to weather back in, if this is a problem, then you might talk with a few fence builders in your area to see if they will be demoing any rail fences from which you could scavenge a replacement rail that is already weathered.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

bdp31770

Post by bdp31770 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Thank you all for the replies, this is all new and helpful info. I think I'm going to try the construction adhesive route, I'm going to research that further. I appreciate the feedback.