Multi light single pole switch wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
dj_99

Multi light single pole switch wiring

Post by dj_99 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:03 am

I found an excellent video from Shannon on wiring up multiple lights to a single pole switch with power feed at switch vs power feed at light (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRqaDX ... 5KsfmykkuG)

I'm retrofitting 4 recessed lights where I have the power source at the first light, and 14/2 running to a single pole switch. In Shannon's video, an example is shown where 14/3 is used to send power back to the switch which preserves the neutral wire. Would it be wrong to do something similar using 14/2 wire to send power back to the switch? This 14/2 setup will result in 3 lights being daisy chained off the 1st "master light" and just two wires in the switch box (no neutral). If I can do this, it will save me ripping open the wall to install 14/3 from the switch.

Thanks for the help!

Shannon

Re: Multi light single pole switch wiring

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:40 am

Yes you will be fine leaving the 14/2 there instead. Now remember the white wire will carry power in that set u so it should be identified as a hot wire in the two boxes it will be in. You can either colour the white sheathing with a black marker or wrap black electrical tape around it covering the white. Also it will not be hooked to the neutrals in any way so using my video as a reference wire it the same way as the red wire .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

dj_99

Post by dj_99 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:39 am

Awesome Shannon, thank you for the quick reply and help here! Good idea regarding colour coding the white sheathing in the switch box to signify it's hot.

Been DIY'ing for quite some time, and I find your videos extremely helpful. Just found the forum today and got a same day reply - amazing!

Will definitely be using the Amazon link for my next purchases!

Thanks so much!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:33 pm

As Shannon said, you don't need the neutral since this is not a new circuit.

Keep in mind, if you are doing a new circuit, then best to run power to the switch first.

For rework, you would only run the neutral if you needed a timer or motion switch at that location.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:32 pm

dj_99 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:39 am
Awesome Shannon, thank you for the quick reply and help here! Good idea regarding colour coding the white sheathing in the switch box to signify it's hot.

Been DIY'ing for quite some time, and I find your videos extremely helpful. Just found the forum today and got a same day reply - amazing!

Will definitely be using the Amazon link for my next purchases!

Thanks so much!
We have some great people hanging out here as well as myself ,so generally you will get some kind of reply same day usually.

Appreciate you using our Amazon link as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon