Sump Pit

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
CanadianSal

Sump Pit

Post by CanadianSal » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 am

I am installing a sewage basin and there was a suggestion that a high water table might displace this basin once its put in place.
I took a look at the neighbour's setup, and he has a sump pump adjacent to the sewage pit.
So I am thinking I will do the same - as I have seen water rise and receed in this pit.

I am new to this - what would be the recommended approach - should I extend the current pit to also include a sump pump - or complete this one and cut a new hole AFTER I am finished with this one. Or Can I fit a sump pump in the current pit - outside the basin.

This is more a best practice suggestion. Appreciate your thoughts - I am guessing I will need to rent a jackhammer. Hopefully the kid at the homedepot has some wisdom on this.
Attachments
sump.jpg
sump.jpg (193.02 KiB) Viewed 99 times

Shannon

Re: Sump Pit

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 am

Im not familiar with sewage pits? would that not be a closed pit ? How would the ground water get in this to displace the sewage?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

CanadianSal

Post by CanadianSal » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 am

It will be closed and sealed. Water usually fills this pit - now with the basin in place, the water will be displaced - it will surround the basin. I am not sure where it will go - or if it exerts enough pressure on the basin, can it raise it out of the ground? I did not to suggest that the sewage will be diplaced - I meant the sealed basin.
One plumber suggested that I do not worry about the water, and they it will eventually make it to my other sump basin about 25' away.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:53 pm

oh I understand now. I agee with the other plumber for sure unless the old pit in this location was fed by a weeping tile. If it was then install a new sump pit to connect to if not, water has a funny way of finding a path of less resistance so it should go to the other sump pit location. If you have any doubts and can spare the space , just sink a new one in beside this sewage pit.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

CanadianSal

Post by CanadianSal » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:24 pm

No there are no weeping tile - but this area was concreted for the last 30 years. It was only last year when we decided to finish the basement that I found the pit. During the spring it kept filling up with water - but the water would disappear eventually - I am assuming under the home somewhere. So next Spring I expect the water to return - but now there will be a a basin there - hence my concern. Its dry now.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm

You will have no problems. The water went there cause it was a void and no resistance to flow to it.

CanadianSal

Sewage Basin

Post by CanadianSal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:43 am

Sorry if this is a repeat question - but I have learned a lot from this forum - so I would like to reask a question - and start from the start.
I have a sewage pit in the basement. This was concreted over for the last 30 years - and I only discovered it last year. When I broke the concrete, I found water in the pit. Seee picture. I have never seen water on the basement floor - but a contractor had once mentioned that it shows evidence of "hydrostatic pressure'. I ended up hooking up a temporary sump pump and it ran for most of the spring - then then pit went dry. The water seems to come from the botton of the pit. Its currently dry.

I am now in the process of installing the sewage basin and reasealing the pit. See picture.
My questions:
1. What will happen to the water when it comes back in the spring - now that I have a basin in the space?

I have had 3 suggestions:
1. Leave it and do nothing (but use some kind of cement to seal the bottom of the pit).
2. Trench the floor and connect to my current sump basin - about 25' away
3. Intall a sump pump next to this pit

Can you share your thoughts?
If I go with Option 1 - what kind of cement should I use?
Attachments
sump.jpg
sump.jpg (193.02 KiB) Viewed 67 times
IMG_20190914_150917.jpg
IMG_20190914_150917.jpg (134.93 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm

There is no need to start a new thread so I merged your second thread in here since it’s still the same project/ topic.

The water is likely always there , very common. Once you seal up the floor you will be fine . I think you were maybe adding a sump next to it so the water can be controlled there if you want or by the use of the other sump on other side of basement.

You have me still a little confused on the sewage pit? Earlier you mentioned that the pit was enclosed on the bottom and now you talk that you would concrete the bottom?

If this is a sewage pit install it , concrete the floor and really you should be fine. The water under the pad will find its own way to the other sump pit where it Weill be controlled.