Finished basement without permit. Will it hurt me when I sell?

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Mikelib765

Finished basement without permit. Will it hurt me when I sell?

Post by Mikelib765 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:57 pm

So my friends dad has been a carpenter for 20 years and helped me finish the basement. I added a bathroom and extra bedroom. We made sure we had all the proper fire blocking, stud dimensions, proper r insulation, hardware, etc to my county code. Under my tax assessment my house is listed as 1100sqft and finished basement blank. So my basement sqft isn’t on the tax assessment. I know plenty of people who have added bathrooms and refinished their entire house without permits. Will I have any issues when I go to sell? I went with my gut since permitting and hiring electricians and plumbers and raise taxes would of been out of my budget. Let me know from your experience about sales of house without permits. Thank you!

A. Spruce

Re: Finished basement without permit. Will it hurt me when I sell?

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:41 pm

Depends on the jurisdiction in which you live, some are downright nasty about unpermitted work, others don't care. If your municipality looks for any and all reasons to enhance their revenue, then it's a strong possibility that you'll have issues when you sell.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:34 am

I agree with Spruce.
In my area lack of permitting has not been much of a problem in the past during selling but I think its going to get stickier as time moves on in this area as in many others. At this point there is not much you can do until that time if you are already done. If you have any pictures from during the build I would keep them in a file for later incase they could help you during the sell if questions arise.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mikelib765

Post by Mikelib765 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 pm

is getting a permit a fairly easy thing to get?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:11 am

Generally, you need scale drawings, plans, of whatever improvement you intend to make. This can be as simple as sketching up something yourself or hiring a draftsman to do it for you. You take these plans to the building department, they approve them, issue a permit, and require periodic inspection of the work as it progresses, then give a final walk-thru to give permission for occupancy. At least, that's the way it works in my neck of the woods.

As for plan approval, for simply plans they can do it over the counter, for more elaborate plans it will take several days for review and approval, just depends on how crazy you intend to get with structural changes.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:24 am

Yes it varies depending where you live but I would suggest visiting your local office and ask. I have seen some places where they have dedicated forms they require for certain changes. Asking first will hopefully clarify your requirements.
If you are going in after the fact I would still ask the questions saying you are thinking of doing this reno and see what they want. Applying after its done can mean them asking to see things like framing and insulation and vapour barriers which means opening the now finished walls. If your carpenter friend helped you and you did not cut corners I would think your fine and I would leave well enough alone if you are finished now. I would guess if you are in violation of anything major it would be not having an egress window in bedroom and no smoke alarms ?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

myk9rox

Post by myk9rox » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:58 am

Tried to find a relevant place, just wanted to thank Shannon for not using all the buzz words when explaining how to do something. I'm not a builder just a keen DIY woman trying my best. I watched the window install video and by using normal English I was able to follow along. Others use building terms that only builders know what it means. Thank you Shannon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:13 am

Your welcome myk9rox.