Attic ventilation

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
tborz5

Attic ventilation

Post by tborz5 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:39 am

Our house was built in 2012. Cape cod style, 2400 sqft total. I finished the second floor about 5 years ago and have had to do some further air sealing from the soffits in the knee wall and I’m in the process of sealing the knee wall completely and making them conditioned space. My question is whether I have enough roof ventilation. There are two dormers that are not vented on their own, they vent in to the attic which has a continuous ridge vent, about 50 ft long. Also, the gable ends have vented soffit all the way up to the ridge. Would this be sufficient? Seems like I could use more ventilation. Thanks!

Tim

Shannon

Re: Attic ventilation

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:15 pm

You really should have circulation right form the eaves to the attic and out through the ridge. To do this you would need to create that air space over the knee wall areas between the insulation and the under side of the roof sheathing to keep that air moving.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon