Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Post Reply
diytexas
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by diytexas » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:42 am

Inflatable tires on a pressure washer.

Every 6mo I have to drag this thing in the shop as a tire is low/flat. Every. Single. Time.

My heavy duty weed whacker (the kind you push like a lawn mower) rolls like a champ on plastic wheels. Sees far worse terrain. I'm sure it was cheaper to produce also.

Am I missing something?

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:06 am

Put solid tires on it or put that tire sealer stuff in them maybe?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by emtnut » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am

Yep !
Add wheelbarrows to the list too :lol:

$40 for a wheelbarrow ... add $60 for buying a flat free tire after you've cussed the thing for 2 yrs :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 6657
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:20 am

I never had problems with the pneumatic tires on my P-washer. Sure, I had to air them up every so often, but they could still hold the unit up even when deflated. Mine probably weighted around 125 pounds, heavy enough you didn't want to pick it up by yourself, but not so heavy it would flatten tires. Now, if you want to rant about pneumatic tires on something, why would you put them on a hose reel? THOSE I had issues with all the time. I suspect the difference between the two is that the P-washer was a high quality Titan, whereas the hose reel is whatever junk China could send this way.

When I first started in the industry I was a laborer and the company had solid tires on their wheelie barrows, THOSE things were awesome! We did a lot of reroof work, so always finding nails and sharp things to run over. In later years I've had more problems with tire rot than sharp pokie things skewering the tires.

Shannon recommended some of tire sealer stuff. Look for Tire Ject, it's an awesome product, expensive, but it works and won't rot the rims of anything you put it into.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 3778
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:53 am

emtnut wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am
Yep !
Add wheelbarrows to the list too :lol:

$40 for a wheelbarrow ... add $60 for buying a flat free tire after you've cussed the thing for 2 yrs :mrgreen:
YES.... I have a wheelbarrow in the garage with a flat tire. I don't know what to do with it. :lol:

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by emtnut » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:55 am

Aaron wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:53 am
emtnut wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am
Yep !
Add wheelbarrows to the list too :lol:

$40 for a wheelbarrow ... add $60 for buying a flat free tire after you've cussed the thing for 2 yrs :mrgreen:
YES.... I have a wheelbarrow in the garage with a flat tire. I don't know what to do with it. :lol:
Well, you'll have to tow it to the garage ... you'll destroy the tire if you drive it there :lol:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

diytexas
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by diytexas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 am

emtnut wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am
Yep !
Add wheelbarrows to the list too :lol:

$40 for a wheelbarrow ... add $60 for buying a flat free tire after you've cussed the thing for 2 yrs :mrgreen:
oh yeah wheel barrows are even worse. Nothing like just needing to move something from point A to B, but needing to make a detour

We had some things right in the early 1900s

I have almost a dozen acres. I don't farm or anything, so equipment is just used maybe a handful of times a year. That being said I'd say tires are probably the biggest maintenance issue around here

Trailers and tractors it's inevitable. They get beat up, sit, etc. It's on stupid crap like pressure washers where I draw the line.

diytexas
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by diytexas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:09 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:20 am
I never had problems with the pneumatic tires on my P-washer. Sure, I had to air them up every so often, but they could still hold the unit up even when deflated. Mine probably weighted around 125 pounds, heavy enough you didn't want to pick it up by yourself, but not so heavy it would flatten tires. Now, if you want to rant about pneumatic tires on something, why would you put them on a hose reel? THOSE I had issues with all the time. I suspect the difference between the two is that the P-washer was a high quality Titan, whereas the hose reel is whatever junk China could send this way.

When I first started in the industry I was a laborer and the company had solid tires on their wheelie barrows, THOSE things were awesome! We did a lot of reroof work, so always finding nails and sharp things to run over. In later years I've had more problems with tire rot than sharp pokie things skewering the tires.

Shannon recommended some of tire sealer stuff. Look for Tire Ject, it's an awesome product, expensive, but it works and won't rot the rims of anything you put it into.
On my washer, it will lean, won't roll at all. Has to be dragged. The tire just drags.

I haven't looked but I could just go buy some solid/plastic tires for it I guess.

I use my pwasher like maybe twice a year, so it's in that gray area where, it's an issue, but, because you don't use it often, it's not worth stopping and resolving once and for all, so it just lingers and haunts for 5 years until you've had enough :lol:

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 3778
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:48 pm

Yeah that's exactly right, the wheelbarrow works with either an inflated or deflated tire, and I don't use it enough to care either way! :lol:

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by emtnut » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm

diytexas wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 am

oh yeah wheel barrows are even worse. Nothing like just needing to move something from point A to B, but needing to make a detour
By the time you get the compressor out, fill the tire, put the compressor back away, you'd be ahead if you just carried the stuff by hand :?
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 6657
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 pm

emtnut wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm

By the time you get the compressor out, fill the tire, put the compressor back away, you'd be ahead if you just carried the stuff by hand :?

Better yet, get rid of the tires altogether! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Image
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by emtnut » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:25 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 pm
emtnut wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm

By the time you get the compressor out, fill the tire, put the compressor back away, you'd be ahead if you just carried the stuff by hand :?

Better yet, get rid of the tires altogether! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Image
Nice , but I'm thinking a Case 580 would do that even better :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 6657
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:37 pm

Did you miss that the man has 12 acres to cover?!?!? For that he's certainly going to need at least a Volvo EC750E. ;) :mrgreen:

Don't make me pull the Komatsu card! :| :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

diytexas
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by diytexas » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:37 am

Do you guys have dirt/mud daubers where y'all live?

If you don't, they're basically harmless wasps, but they LOVE to build their mud houses on everything if you have an open entry building etc. Cardboard boxes, electrical wiring, storage shelves, in tool boxes.....

Again they're harmless sting wise, but they create a mess. The dry mud blocks come off perfectly, but shatter when they fall.

Anyway, that's another issue out here besides flat tires.

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 6657
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Who thought this was a good idea? I got rants.

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am

diytexas wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:37 am
Do you guys have dirt/mud daubers where y'all live?
Had 'em when I lived in the country, not so much here in the city. I'll find one every so often, but they're not common.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Reply