Wiring a ceiling fan that also has a light

Ask your electrical related questions here
Flywelder

Wiring a ceiling fan that also has a light

Post by Flywelder » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:37 pm

Will I use only 14/2 with ground for the ceiling fan, or will I need 14/3?

Aaron

Re: Wiring a ceiling fan that also has a light

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:11 am

Sort of a mushy answer but "it depends". Many modern ceiling fans have a wireless remote where you can operate the fan speed and switch on and off the light, which makes only wiring 14/2 necessary. These remotes also solved the problem of retrofitting a fan on what was once previously just a regular ceiling light. The single wall switch turned off kills power to the fan as a whole, so you cannot operate the fan nor the light with the remote... however, once you switch it back on, the internal relay will kick on the light automatically as you'd expect to happen when you switch on a light switch.

Older fans, and perhaps less-expensive new fans without remotes still will have two hot connections: one to send power to the fan motor and the other to send power to its light. So for those two power connections, you'd need 14/3 and you'd have two switches on the wall - one each for the fan and light.

Ceiling fans really vary in quality. The cheap ones can wobble and can have noisy motors. The really good ones have large motors with bearings, and run silently. The drawback of the latter is they're not only expensive but also quite heavy and a challenge to install by yourself without someone to help you hold it. I horrifyingly DROPPED one. I was very lucky it did not sustain terrible damage.

sophiajames

Post by sophiajames » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 am

Both are similar ways:
14/2 wire actually contain three wires. 1. Bare Copper(one ground) 2. Neutral(White Coating) 3. black coating(hot). We don't count the bare ground wire,
14/3 contains the Four wire. => 1. Ground 2. Neutral 3.Two hot wire.
14/3 is usually used for a three-way switch but as well we can use it in several other places.
14/3 is more expensive compared to 14/2.

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Helpful info, thank you!