Swapping bathroom fixtures location

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Friedfrog

Swapping bathroom fixtures location

Post by Friedfrog » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Hello folks,
I am about start renovation of my second floor ensuite bathroom. We trying to see whether it is possible for us to swap toilet and shower location. Currently toilet located left of the bathroom close to main plumbing stack and the shower is located opposite side of the bathroom having vanity in the middle. Distance from toilet to shower is about 9 fteet ( center of shower drain).
Will appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you.
John

A. Spruce

Re: Swapping bathroom fixtures location

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:37 pm

I would say that ability and cost will be determined on the orientation of the floor joists to what you want to accomplish. If you can simply work between joists, no sweat, easy to do, if you have to notch joists, then you've got a HUGE problem, because you can only notch a small percentage of the joist to it's overall height.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Friedfrog

Post by Friedfrog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:42 am

Edisting plumbing is running along joist wirhin joust bay. Only things is size of the shower drain smaĺler than toilet drain line. Do need to replace existing shower drain line with larger size pipe to accommodate toilet waste? Also, what sort slope do I need?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:45 am

You may need to vent that toilet line as well at that distance if anything else uses the same line the toilet drains into between it and the main stack. But like Spruce said the main factor is whether you can get the pipe running that far and enough slope.Toilet needs to be 3" min. diameter with 1/4" slope per foot.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DNDPARA2

Post by DNDPARA2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:32 am

Hello All,

Looking for assistance in figuring out if moving fixtures from one side of the bathroom to another is a good idea, and what things have to be considered before moving anything.
Reason considering moving is, bathroom is the main bedroom ensuite so a small,
I am considering putting in a pocket door/ are they worth it, how easy to install? .
Moving the toilet itself, reading other posts, have to consider joists orientation
I may have other questions, thanks for any suggestions

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:47 am

As far as moving fixtures I think we made the suggestions above on what to look for and as for pocket doors, they are not that hard to install. Just remember you need to open up twice as much wall to install them. I have a video for them.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKS9tGa2Gos
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon