Old clay drain for bathtub?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Ethan12v

Old clay drain for bathtub?

Post by Ethan12v » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:23 pm

First post here. I have a 40’s cape cod style home (1946 build date) ive been rennovating with my wife for the past year since weve moved in. Ive recently started redoing the bathroom. Were putting in a new shower surround with new fixtures. After tearing out the old surround i opened up the access to the valve and plumbing at the rear of the tub. Suprises around every corner to say the least... i found the drain for the tub goes into what looks like old clay pipe?? Thats open at the top. Looks like it was concreted over at one point in time and also theres no trap on the tub.

I guess my question is.. can i use a fernco adapter to the clay pipe to a pvc drain for the tub?

I attached a picture and you can see the opening at the top of the pipe as well as the tub drain pipe going into it
Attachments
FDC3AE3E-633D-4919-B00D-60F27057537B.jpeg
FDC3AE3E-633D-4919-B00D-60F27057537B.jpeg (209.25 KiB) Viewed 127 times

Shannon

Re: Old clay drain for bathtub?

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:09 am

There are a couple things I have never seen about this < 1 clay pipe exposed, usually if they are clay pipes they are the main sewer drain going out to the utility, 2> open-ended drain pipe for tub.

If it is clay I would be very surprised? Not sure if you can hook onto it with a fernco? You may break it? Once you get the tub out of the way maybe you can expose it a little further and see, I would suspect it is a iron pipe?

Usually the P trap would be barrier in th earth so it may still be there , if it is not I don't know how you are not getting sewer gasses in the home?

Lets see what you find once the tub is out
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 am

If it's not cast iron, it could be orangeburg, which is sort of like clay, only a lot worse because it will collapse over time.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Ethan12v

Post by Ethan12v » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 am

Thank you for the replies. This is merely at a glance so im not totally sure if its clay. Ill have to get in there to have a definite answer. We have a septic system so the gasses are my main concern at this point. Ill start taking it all apart and let you know what i find