Builder Rough-In Plumbing

Ask your bathroom related questions here
gslonka

Builder Rough-In Plumbing

Post by gslonka » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 am

How can I identify whether my builder rough-in plumbing is ready to finish without breaking up the concrete? I'm in the process of a DIY finish for the basement but plumbing isn't something I'm too keen on, so I was hoping to just plug and play a toilet/sink/etc. into what is existing but with my basement being below grade, i want to make sure everything is connected and will eject to city sewage. That toilet rough-in is exactly 12.5" from the 2x6 support framing, and the pipe in the middle is 3".

Also, what could be the reason for the square concrete patch shown on the left-hand side of the picture? Is it possible that there is a sewage ejector pit or something installed there?

My wife and I bought the house a few years ago and do not know who built the home.

Thanks!

The image below shows the rough-ins coming from the concrete. I've also got a vent pipe coming from the floor joist (not shown).
BuilderRoughIns-Low.jpg
BuilderRoughIns-Low.jpg (187.57 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Shannon

Re: Builder Rough-In Plumbing

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Well you forsure have the toilet pipe in the floor (white cap to the right). After that I can not tell you for sure what they have done? I would think that you could plumb a sink into either of the capped off 2" pipes, but where is the tub or shower drain? Usually those would be capped off at the floor level or projecting up also?
Did you frame that all there or was it done by the builder?
The patch in the floor ? Who knows what that could have been?Maybe they had to re dig up the plumbing for some reason in that area? impossible to say for sure?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

gslonka

Post by gslonka » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 pm

Well, my plan was to only install a half bath into the basement, and to use the toilet pipe and one of the capped 2" pipes for the sink. I do not believe there is a tub or shower drain pre-installed by the builder in our basement.

All of that framing in the picture was done by the builder. It's 2x6 and also happens to be a support wall (I believe - it has a double top plate and is directly attached to the floor joist).

The previous owners were not sure about the square concrete patch either. I have wondered whether it was poured separately to accommodate a future shower or whether it is indicative of the presence of a sewage ejection pit or something like that, but I really can't tell.

Is there a way to "test" the plumbing down there to see if a toilet/sink setup would work without breaking the concrete?

Thanks for your help.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 am

Ok well if all you want is a 2 piece bathroom you are set. Open the pipes you wanna use and use a hose to run water down there. There is no reason they should not be functional. Sticking them through concrete and not hooking up below would be a complete waste of material and time.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon